[News] [Rival] Microsoft CEO Says the Truth About Vista 3 Years Late

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft CEO Says the Truth About Vista 3 Years Late
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 09:11:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"[W]e're not going to have products that are much more successful than Vista has been."

                        --Steve Ballmer, 2008

Ballmer: Microsoft wasted time on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| In a chat with fellow CEOs at Microsoft's
| 14th annual CEO Summit, Microsoft boss
| Steve Ballmer came close to admitting
| Vista was a dog.
`----

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/5/20/ballmer-microsoft-wasted-time-on-vista/

Ballmer: We Wasted Too Many Years on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| During the speech, Ballmer took an
| honest-yet-surprising turn and admitted
| that Microsoft fell short with Windows
| Vista. "We tried too big a task and in
| the process wound up losing thousands of
| man hours of innovation," Ballmer said.
| He added that Microsoft spent too many
| years building the Windows Vista
| operating system, but then paused to
| question about the appropriate time frame
| for research and development.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ballmer-Vista-CEO-Xbox-Steve,10474.html

Monty Ballmer â The Life of Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember the comments we highlighted here
| in regards to Vista from the Microsoft
| faithful at the time?  Complete denial of
| any problems and in fact we highlighted
| many comments such as âVista is lovedâ or
| it being a âgift to the worldââI ask any
| Windows user here to think back to that
| time (and Im emailed by Windows users so
| I know they read this) and say, if MS
| Faithful were praising the Vista product
| then and now Ballmer admits this, what
| worth can you put into the voice of any
| Microsoft Advocate? â Iâll let you decide
| and Microsoftâs catalogue is eaten away
| by the plethora of alternatives.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/05/21/monty-ballmer-the-life-of-vista/

Vista 7 is the same.

Recent:

Microsoft to Patch Unhackable Windows 7 Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| Later today, Microsoft will play it safe by
| patching a Windows 7 bug that it says can't
| be exploited.
|
| Of the 11 security bulletins that will be
| released in a few hours, "Bulletin 7" will
| address one or more vulnerabilities in
| Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server
| 2003.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194102/microsoft_patch_windows_7.html?tk=rss_news

Intel hits migration delays with Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel faces challenges in migrating from
| Windows XP to Windows 7, including
| application incompatibility and system
| readiness, the company said.
|
| Intel worked with Microsoft to develop
| Windows 7 into a stable operating system, but
| there is still a lot of heavy lifting
| involved before migrating PCs to the new OS
| inside Intel's environment, wrote Intel staff
| engineer Roy Ubry in a blog entry. Challenges
| include issues related to backward
| application compatibility, web browser
| support, 64-bit computing and privacy
| controls.
`----

http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/3213679/intel-hits-migration-delays-with-windows-7/

Intel: Just 3,000 employees run Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/03/bryant_cebit_speech/