[News] Why Google's Proprietary Chrome Should be Replaced by Chromium; Wine Approaches 1.2 Release

  • Subject: [News] Why Google's Proprietary Chrome Should be Replaced by Chromium; Wine Approaches 1.2 Release
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:48:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Can't We All Use Chromium Instead of Google Chrome?

,----[ Quote ]
|     * So, in effect Chromium is Google
|     Chrome minus all the EULA and privacy
|     relates issues. And we all know how
|     easy it is to install Chromium browser
|     in Ubuntu or in any other distro. So
|     why can't we all just use Chromium
|     instead of Google Chrome? Chromium has
|     been my default web browser for more
|     than an year now and I'm loving it.
|
|     * On a final note, we all have to
|     understand one basic fact. Be it
|     Chrome/Chromium/Firefox/IE, Google
|     probably doesn't care which web
|     browser you use. Google wants this
|     internet eco system to grow and that
|     is where their money is.
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/05/why-cant-we-all-use-chromium-instead-of.html

Just how popular is Chrome/ium on Linux? answer: Very

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/just-how-popular-is-chrome-on-linux.html

Wine Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wine development release 1.2-rc1 is
| now available.
|
| This is the first release candidate for
| Wine 1.2. It marks the beginning of the
| code freeze period. Please give this
| release a good testing to help us make 1.2
| as good as possible.
`----

http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.2-rc1

Recent:

A Less Personal Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Chrome OS extends this strategy. It will be
| a Web browser running on top of a
| hardware-Âcontrolling Linux kernel, and not
| a whole lot else. Chrome OS should take up
| less than a gigabyte of your computer's
| hard drive, and the operating system will
| boot in seconds. It won't have a "Start"
| button--it will just have the Google home
| page, with links to your favorite Internet
| applications. Panels will appear on the
| side of the main window when you connect
| the laptop to your digital camera or when
| you find a new wireless network.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/web/25116/?a=f

Google Chrome OS Netbooks To Sell For Under $400

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt, has revealed
| that he expects netbooks and other devices
| based running the company's forthcoming
| Google Chrome OS to be available for
| between $300 and $400.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/4/21/google-chrome-os-netbooks-sell-under-400/

Google: Chrome OS netbooks should cost around Â300

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/news/100421/google-chrome-os-netbooks-should-cost-around-300