[News] Introductions to GNU/Linux and Why It's Not "Scary"

  • Subject: [News] Introductions to GNU/Linux and Why It's Not "Scary"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 09:28:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux jargon buster

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is growing in popularity but unless
| you're up to speed with its jargon the open
| source operating system could make no
| sense. We offer a short, plain-English
| guide to some of the key concepts used by
| Linux users.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/12603-Linux-jargon-buster.html

Why are you Scared of Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Note: Before you read this Article I want
| to tell you that I am a big Linux fan and
| Linux being an open source Operating System
| is doing a Great Job.
|
| Most of the people I know think Linux is
| very difficult for a layman to understand.
| They fear that after installing Linux they
| will not be able to do the normal tasks
| they do with Windows and thus they prefer
| paying money to Microsoft instead of even
| trying Linux.
|
| There are lot of reasons behind this. Few
| reasons that I could figure out are:
|
| 1. Lack of Advertising about Linux compared
| to Windows. I understand that Linux is an
| open source product while Windows is
| Commercial but still I feel that there is
| lot of scope for advertising.
|
| 2. Lack of Awareness among the Retailers of
| Computers who advise the buyers to go for
| Windows instead of Linux. Some times its
| not just lack of awareness but also to gain
| more commission on the part of the
| retailer.

http://www.hungry-hackers.com/2010/05/why-are-you-scared-of-linux.html

7 Tips to help your friends move to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of my favorite geek shirts is my
| ZaReason 'Friends help friends use Linux'
| shirt, which I was in the mood to wear last
| night after I helped my friend move to
| Linux. My non-technical friend was
| suffering from a sickly Windows Vista PC.
| She'd caught herself a nasty virus (she
| blames an old Red Hot Chili Peppers video,
| but we'll never know for sure). Other
| people had suggested that my budget-
| conscious friend move to Linux.
|
| Tip #1: Don't tell your non-technical
| friends to move to Linux. Please, just
| don't do this. If you do this, you set them
| up to hate it. Your friend might be like my
| friend, who just wants her email, music,
| and internet to work. My friend doesn't
| want to install, configure, or
| troubleshoot. Yes, she's certainly smart
| and capable enough, but she's just not
| interested. She's got two teenagers and
| some chickens to raise and a business to
| run, and she'd rather live without her
| computer than spend hours tweaking it. I
| told my friend I'd be right over to see
| whether I could help, and I brought along
| my laptop, a couple of Linux DVDs, and my
| external hard drive to rescue her music and
| photos. Friends help friends move.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/ROSE-Blog-Rikki-s-Open-Source-Exchange/7-Tips-to-help-your-friends-move-to-Linux

Linux System and Network Administration Bootcamp W/Free Laptop!

,----[ Quote ]
| Rapid growth of Linux into corporate and
| government IT environments is fueling the
| need for Linux certified professionals.
| CIOs and managers are eager to have Linux
| experts in their organizations. A training
| or certification provides a tangible
| mechanism for their hiring evaluation, as
| well as a means to market the prowess of
| organizations.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/12117.html

Recent:

Will Clinton Free The World From Software Dictatorship?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://katonda.com/blog/595/will-clinton-free-world-software-dictatorship