[News] Debian GNU/Linux Ahead of the Curve in Booting Technology, Named in "Linux Distro Scorecard" as Most Successful

  • Subject: [News] Debian GNU/Linux Ahead of the Curve in Booting Technology, Named in "Linux Distro Scorecard" as Most Successful
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:32:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Parallelism in Debian GNU/Linux Booting

,----[ Quote ]
| That is a big improvment over the minutes
| we spend waiting/please waiting on XP on
| our old hardware.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/05/28/parallelism-in-debian-gnulinux-booting/

The Spring 2010 Linux Distro Scorecard

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian is one of the most successful free
| software projects that many new users have
| never heard of. Debian is an entirely
| community developed Linux distribution with
| no single commercial backer. While many
| companies contribute to Debian in one way
| or another, it's a purely independent
| project, driven entirely by volunteers.
| Debian has a large developer community and
| is the basis for many other projects,
| including Ubuntu.
|
| Debian has a very developer-centric
| community. It's driven by its Social
| Contract to remain free, give back to the
| larger community, be open with its
| problems, and be guided by the needs of its
| users and the free software community.
| There's an intense focus on technical
| excellence and shipping free software.
| Debian does allow some non-free
| repositories, but they're not "officially"
| part of Debian.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/biz-enterprise/313053-the-spring-2010-linux-distro-scorecard

Recent:

More flexible firmware handling in debian-installer

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/More_flexible_firmware_handling_in_debian_installer.html