[News] More Android/Linux in More Than Just Phones

  • Subject: [News] More Android/Linux in More Than Just Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:33:35 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cellbots android powered robots

,----[ Quote ]
| These are cellbots, if you couldn't think of
| any reason for getting yourself an Android
| yet, here is one.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/cellbots-android-powered-robots

Remote control house and appliances with Android or Iphone

,----[ Quote ]
| At the moment of this writing the Android app
| is still in alpha state. So a little patience
| may be in it's place. I have no doubt android
| will provide a great platform for the future
| of home remote control.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/linux-home-automation

Hows about some Froyo on the Evo 4G

http://www.androidcentral.com/hows-about-some-froyo-evo-4g

Acer Liquid e Ferrari: âWorldâs Most Exclusive Smartphoneâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has announced the availability of a
| limited edition version of their Liquid e
| handset.  Called the Liquid Ferrari, it's a
| glossy, sexed up looking Liquid e with a few
| special features added in. With a shiny
| Ferrari F1 red  finish, the smart phone
| includes exclusive content, including videos,
| wallpapers, and specific ringtones that
| âallows you to personalize your phone with
| the inimitable sweet music of the Ferrari
| engine.â  Other subtle tweaks such as
| designing the microphone to look like an air
| intake inlet ensure the handset stands out in
| a crowd and provides a "stronger sense of
| belonging to all Ferrari fans".
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/01/acer-liquid-ferrari-worlds-exclusive-smartphone/

Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen: torture tested for your amusement (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| So we've been hearing rumors about the Dell
| Streak being some kind of a rugged bad boy.
| Word is, the Gorilla Glass display on this 5-
| inch slate is good enough to withstand pretty
| much anything a human would care to throw its
| way.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/29/dell-streaks-gorilla-glass-screen-torture-tested-for-your-amus

Mercury News interview: Andy Rubin, vice president, mobile platforms, Google

,----[ Quote ]
| What does openness mean? Is a platform that
| is open to outside programmers open? Is a
| platform that has an open content store open?
| Is a platform that's open source open? All
| those definitions are still in flux, I think.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15184465?nclick_check=1

Google's Android favored for phones, tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| Victoria Fodale, an analyst at ABI Research,
| said Tuesday in a research note that the
| Scottsdale, Arizona-based marketing research
| firm anticipates that Linux-enabled
| smartphones, led by the success of Google's
| Android, will comprise 33 percent of the
| worldwide smartphone market by 2015.
`----

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/02/cnet.android.favored/

Android Chief Andy Rubin: Updates Will Eventually Come Once A Year

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/01/android-chief-andy-rubin-updates-will-eventually-come-once-a-year/

On Android Compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| At Google I/O 2010, we announced that there
| are over 60 Android models now, selling
| 100,000 units a day. When I wear my open-
| source hat, this is exciting: every day the
| equivalent of the entire population of my old
| home city starts using open-source software,
| possibly for the first time. When I put on my
| hat for Android Compatibility, this is
| humbling: thatâs a whole lotta phones that
| can all share the same apps.
`----

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/05/on-android-compatibility.html

Acerâs Android Stream comes online

,----[ Quote ]
| Acerâs been hinting at entry into the Android
| smartphone market for some time now and now
| it is official. The Stream is the companyâs
| first Android device.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/05/acers-android-stream-comes-online/

15 Beautiful Android Wallpapers For Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/06/15-beautiful-android-wallpapers-for.html