[News] More eReaders Run Linux, Including New Ones From Asus

  • Subject: [News] More eReaders Run Linux, Including New Ones From Asus
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 17:21:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

E-reader doubles as digital notepad

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus did not list the operating system used
| by the Eee Tablet, but a Laptop hands-on
| story claims the device runs a proprietary
| version of Linux on an ARM processor. In
| April, Asus and Acer both said they would
| support the Linux-based MeeGo operating
| system, with both netbooks and tablets
| speculated as potential products. However,
| the Eee Tablet, which does not appear to
| offer generic tablet features such as web
| browsing, does not appear to be based on
| MeeGo.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Asus-Eee-Tablet/?kc=rss

QuokkaPad open-source ereader/tablet almost on sale

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source ereaders arenât exactly new â
| the txtr promises to give access to its
| underlying architecture, for instance â
| but the Australian QuokkaPad may have
| taken the longest to reach the market.
| The 8-inch LCD 800 x 600 touchscreen
| tablet is based on a 400MHz MIPS
| processor, and usually runs Linux 2.6.24.3
| with the GPE Palmtop Environment UI on
| top; however, thereâs also room for two
| other kernels, such as Android or Windows
| CE.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/quokkapad-open-source-ereadertablet-almost-on-sale-0388165/

Amazon Kindle for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| By now Iâm sure that most of you already
| know that Appleâs iPad has drawn the
| attention of many people who might have
| otherwise bought a Kindle. Amazon is in for
| the fight of its life against Appleâs slick,
| new hardware. Appleâs iPad is selling like
| hotcakes and is no doubt already cutting into
| Kindle sales.
|
| But Amazon has a secret weapon: Linux.
|
| Apple will never, ever release a version of
| its iBooks application for Linux. Ever.
`----

http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2010/06/04/amazon-kindle-for-linux/

Recent:

Thinner Kindle -- Coming Soon?

,----[ Quote ]
| For those of you who think that the
| Kindle's 1/3 of an inch thick architecture
| is just too thick, you may be able to check
| out a new slimmer Kindle come August this
| year. According to a Bloomberg.com article,
| Amazon.com plans to introduce the next
| version of the Kindle electronic-book
| reader.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/197560/thinner_kindle_coming_soon.html?tk=rss_news

Sony To Release eReader In Asia/Pacific Markets

,----[ Quote ]
| In each country the company said it will
| work with local retailers, publishers and
| distributors to introduce the Reader along
| with local content.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/05/27/sony-to-release-ereader-in-asiapacific-markets

$200 Android tablet offers Barnes and Noble access

,----[ Quote ]
| Digital photo frame (DPF) maker Pandigital
| announced an Android-based tablet that
| offers integrated access to Barnes &
| Noble's eBookstore. The $200 Pandigital
| Novel 7-inch Color Multimedia eReader is
| equipped with an ARM11 processor, 1GB RAM,
| a 7-inch, 800 x 600 touchscreen, as well as
| 802.11n and SD expansion.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Pandigital-Novel/?kc=rss

Not all ereaders are the same