[News] Florian MÃller et al. Swing Against Software Patents at LinuxTag 2010; Intellecutal Monopolies Kill More People

  • Subject: [News] Florian MÃller et al. Swing Against Software Patents at LinuxTag 2010; Intellecutal Monopolies Kill More People
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:49:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Dominik Brodowski - Criminal Regulations by the European Union - New Threats or New Opportunities

http://www.linuxtag.org/2010/fileadmin/www.linuxtag.org/slides/Dominik%20Brodowski%20-%20Criminal%20Regulations%20by%20the%20European%20Union%20-%20New%20Threats%20or%20New%20Opportunities%20-%20paper.pdf

European Union processes relevant to Linux and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Overview of recent, ongoing and impending
| decision-making processes at the EU level
| (legislative and regulatory processes) that
| are relevant to the commercial adoption,
| distribution and development of Linux and
| open source: the European Commission's
| Digital Agenda and the European
| Interoperability Framework; the proposed
| European patent reform and its impact on
| software patents; the aftermath of recent
| competition cases (Microsoft cases;
| Oracle/Sun merger control; potential new
| cases and recently lodged complaints (such
| as the complaints against IBM's conduct in
| the mainframe market); other relevant
| developments in Brussels.
`----

http://www.linuxtag.org/2010/en/program/free-conference/popup/details.html?talkid=347

Legal fight over breast cancer gene

,----[ Quote ]
| Landmark legal action challenging a patent
| over breast cancer gene BRCA1 is being
| launched in Australia today.
`----

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/08/2920908.htm

The Ethical And Legal Problems Of Having Patients Sign Over The Copyright On Doctor Reviews

,----[ Quote ]
| About a year ago, we wrote about the really
| troubling concept pushed by a group called
| Medical Justice, which tries to "protect"
| doctors from negative reviews online by
| having them demand that patients hand over
| the copyright on any future reviews they
| might write. As we noted at the time, this
| was an attempt to completely abuse
| copyright law, way beyond its intended
| purpose -- though we wondered if it would
| actually work.
|
| [...]
|
| Separately, Jason Schultz points out that
| this whole scheme appears to violate basic
| medical ethics rules. He points to a
| particular rule:
|
|     Under no circumstances may physicians
|     place their own financial interests
|     above the welfare of their patients.
|     The primary objective of the medical
|     profession is to render service to
|     humanity; reward or financial gain is a
|     subordinate consideration. For a
|     physician to unnecessarily hospitalize
|     a patient, prescribe a drug, or conduct
|     diagnostic tests for the physician's
|     financial benefit is unethical. If a
|     conflict develops between the
|     physician's financial interest and the
|     physician's responsibilities to the
|     patient, the conflict must be resolved
|     to the patient's benefit.
|
| How does that apply here? As Schultz
| explains:
|
|     Since the main concern of Medical
|     Justice appears to be preventing harm
|     to the physician's reputation (and thus
|     financial interest), forcing patients
|     to assign away their copyrights in
|     exchange for medical care strikes me as
|     close if not over this line. It
|     certainly is not putting patients
|     first. When a patient goes to see a
|     doctor, they are often anxious, in
|     pain, or worried and thus in a very
|     psychologically vulnerable position, or
|     what the law often calls a position of
|     "duress" where they will often sign
|     documents without giving them proper
|     consideration. This hardly seems to me
|     to be a fair time to demand they assign
|     some unknown number of future
|     copyrights to their doctor; instead it
|     feels like a huge power grab by the
|     physician.
|
| When you create draconian copyright laws
| that include free speech removing notice-
| and-takedown provisions, don't be surprised
| when people abuse it for other purposes,
| well beyond the intent of copyright law.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100609/0154149750.shtml

Recent:

Bilski Decision Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| They are probably right to be. A delay
| this long in the decision most likely
| means that the Court is waiting until the
| end of the term to release it - which they
| traditionally do for what the Justices
| consider to be their most important and/or
| far reaching decisions of the year.
|
| It may also be the case that there are
| either important dissents or concurring
| opinions on the case, thus prompting a
| delay with back and forth rewrites and
| revisions to the final decisions. (Though
| one should recall that at oral arguments,
| the Justices seemed universally critical
| to the idea of broad-based business method
| patents.)
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000003049

And I thought patents encouraged innovation

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000003046

Mailing Out Patent Absurdity

,----[ Quote ]
| On the eve of re: Bilski, the anxiously
| awaited Supreme Court decision on business
| method patents (with potential
| implications for software patents), I
| decided to collaborate with the End
| Software Patents coalition and send out
| 200 copies of the short movie they
| recently produced called Patent Absurdity
| about why software should not be able to
| be patented to a focused list of key
| people.  The letter follows.
`----

http://www.feld.com/wp/archives/2010/06/mailing-out-patent-absurdity.html

Mailing Out Patent Absurdity

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/post.aspx?bid=358&bpid=25296

Patent Absurdity mailed to 200 policy setters

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.swpat.org/2010/06/patent-absurdity-mailed-to-200-policy-setters/