[News] A Look at Linux Mint (Variant or Ubuntu)

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Linux Mint (Variant or Ubuntu)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:25:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Have a Mint

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all Iâd say the Mint experience was
| pretty much a wash; there were some things
| that I didnât need to do on Mint that Iâd
| have had to do in Ubuntu, and other things
| I needed to fix in Mint that arenât broken
| in Ubuntu.  But, and this is the key, I
| got a good working installation to start
| with, whereas Ubuntu didnât give me that
| this time around.  So on that basis alone,
| Iâm sticking with Mint for a while.
`----

http://www.dwasifar.com/?p=1176

Spotlight on Linux: Linux Mint 9

,----[ Quote ]
| The best thing about Linux Mint is its out
| of the box capabilities. Nothing says
| ease-of-use like having browser and
| multimedia plugins and codecs already
| included and ready to use. Nothing is
| appreciated more either, by a lot of
| users. There is a large community of
| friendly and helpful users surrounding the
| Mint project, so be sure to drop by the
| forums. This version comes with GNOME
| 2.30, but other desktop versions follow
| soon after initial release. Any way you
| look at it, Linux Mint is one of the best
| distributions available today from any
| project, no matter the size.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spotlight-linux-linux-mint-9

Recent:

Linux Mint 9: Elegant, complete desktop OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Rating
|
| Desktop ready: 4/5
| User-friendliness: 4/5
| Overall rating: 4/5
|
| Mint Linux 9 is an SAGeek Recommended
| product.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/06/linux-mint-9-elegant-complete-desktop-os/

Linux Mint 9: Fast, Stable, and Beautiful

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs been a long time since I last looked at
| Mint, and a lot has changed since. After
| Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was released, I thought I
| would take a look at Linux Mint 9 âIsadoraâ
| to see what they are doing with the latest
| Ubuntu base, which was already wonderful as
| it is. After playing with the latest Mint for
| just a short period of time, Iâve already
| fallen in love with it.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall: 5/5 (Great!)
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1514

mintInstall 7.1.5: speed improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| A new version of the Software Manager is
| available in the repository. You can use the
| Update Manager to upgrade to it.
|
| The Software Manager was rewritten from
| scratch in Linux Mint 9. Itâs a very complex
| application, and it can be improved in many
| ways. Today we tackled the time it takes for
| the application to start. Basically it needs
| to process some 30,000 packages, a growing
| number of comments (weâre receiving about 200
| comments per day at the moment) and match all
| that in categories and do some other fancy
| processingâ Because of all this, itâs far from
| being immediate.
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1427

Linux Mint 9: A Fresh Spin on Ubuntu