Re: A Look at Linux Mint (Variant OF Ubuntu)

Oops. Subject line corrected. it's actually a derivative, too.

____/ nessuno on Thursday 17 Jun 2010 18:28 : \____

> On Jun 17, 10:25 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have a Mint
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | All in all Iâd say the Mint experience was
>> | pretty much a wash; there were some things
>> | that I didnât need to do on Mint that Iâd
>> | have had to do in Ubuntu, and other things
>> | I needed to fix in Mint that arenât broken
>> | in Ubuntu.  But, and this is the key, I
>> | got a good working installation to start
>> | with, whereas Ubuntu didnât give me that
>> | this time around.  So on that basis alone,
>> | Iâm sticking with Mint for a while.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.dwasifar.com/?p=1176
>>
>> Spotlight on Linux: Linux Mint 9
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The best thing about Linux Mint is its out
>> | of the box capabilities. Nothing says
>> | ease-of-use like having browser and
>> | multimedia plugins and codecs already
>> | included and ready to use. Nothing is
>> | appreciated more either, by a lot of
>> | users. There is a large community of
>> | friendly and helpful users surrounding the
>> | Mint project, so be sure to drop by the
>> | forums. This version comes with GNOME
>> | 2.30, but other desktop versions follow
>> | soon after initial release. Any way you
>> | look at it, Linux Mint is one of the best
>> | distributions available today from any
>> | project, no matter the size.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spotlight-linux-linux-mint-9
>>
>> Recent:
>>
>> Linux Mint 9: Elegant, complete desktop OS
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Rating
>> |
>> | Desktop ready: 4/5
>> | User-friendliness: 4/5
>> | Overall rating: 4/5
>> |
>> | Mint Linux 9 is an SAGeek Recommended
>> | product.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/06/linux-mint-9-elegant-complete-deskt...
>>
>> Linux Mint 9: Fast, Stable, and Beautiful
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Itâs been a long time since I last looked at
>> | Mint, and a lot has changed since. After
>> | Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was released, I thought I
>> | would take a look at Linux Mint 9 âIsadoraâ
>> | to see what they are doing with the latest
>> | Ubuntu base, which was already wonderful as
>> | it is. After playing with the latest Mint for
>> | just a short period of time, Iâve already
>> | fallen in love with it.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Overall: 5/5 (Great!)
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1514
>>
>> mintInstall 7.1.5: speed improvements
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A new version of the Software Manager is
>> | available in the repository. You can use the
>> | Update Manager to upgrade to it.
>> |
>> | The Software Manager was rewritten from
>> | scratch in Linux Mint 9. Itâs a very complex
>> | application, and it can be improved in many
>> | ways. Today we tackled the time it takes for
>> | the application to start. Basically it needs
>> | to process some 30,000 packages, a growing
> [...]

- From my experience, some packages like media players just grab all the codecs
with them, which is perfectly legal here in Europe. I think that Kaffeine/Amarok
bring with them many codecs.

- --

Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached