[News] Time to Move to Mandriva Linux, Investor Found

  • Subject: [News] Time to Move to Mandriva Linux, Investor Found
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:09:53 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moving to mandriva?!

,----[ Quote ]
| Never thought I would be writing this, but I
| am actually considering moving my Linux
| boxes (based mainly in OpenSuSE and Fedoras)
| to Mandriva! During my hey days we always
| considered Mandrake (it's name then)
| something of a play distribution or a
| distribution for Linux beginners and should
| not be used for 'serious' work.
|
| Fast forward about 10 years, after a name
| change I don't know why suddenly I felt an
| urge to pick up the latest version of
| Mandriva 2010 to give it the proverbial
| spin. After playing around with the bought
| version of Mandriva (yes I actually bought a
| copy!). I really started liking it. Let me
| just list down a few of the reasons why.
`----

http://blog.lowkster.com/2010/06/moving-to-mandriva.html

Mandriva saved by CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux company, which is based in France
| and Brazil, had been operating in recent
| months under the threat of potential
| bankruptcy, as its finances were reportedly
| precarious.
|
| According to the French press LaprÃvote
| rallied investors "to return the group to
| balance and find a good business model." He
| said that the community does not need to be
| concerned about the outfit's future any
| longer.
|
| LaprÃvote took the CEO job in April. In May
| a posting in one of the Mandriva forums
| revealed major cash flow problems and the
| existence of plans to perhaps sell or merge
| the company.
|
| One of the possible buyers named was
| Lightapp, but that deal apparently fell
| through, and then Linagora was rumoured to
| be in talks with Mandriva.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1687274/mandriva-saved-ceo

Recent:

Mandriva Linux is a fantastic scientific platform

,----[ Quote ]
| StÃphane TELETCHEA is working in a french
| research laboratory. He is also contributing
| to Mandriva Linux as a tester and packager
| for some years now. Below is his testimony in
| Mandriva Linux use for his daily work.
|
| We started using Mandriva Linux (Mandriva at
| that time) in the laboraty for the great
| combination of an ease of use and a very
| strong development platform. At that time I
| was a starting my PhD and trying to migrate
| from aging SGI Indigo 2 to more powerful
| standard PC-based computers. I did test other
| distributions at that time but Mandriva was
| the only one offering a lot of scientific
| applications (one that comes to my mind is
| XmGrace). Perl/bioperl, python, fortran, gcc
| and libc stacks were and are still very up-
| to-date but functional as if they were tested
| for years. This very good combination of
| stability and recent releases also helped
| some colleagues in improving their programs
| (for instance with the stricter checks coming
| in c++ in the gcc 4 series). This stability
| was also very appreciated while writing my
| PhD thesis where LyX and Pybliographer, on
| top of the Tetex stack, showed no crash
| leading to text loss. The pressure was
| sufficiently high in other domains to
| appreciate this part (those using Word or
| even Writer can not understand the beauty of
| (La)TeX).
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2010/06/03/mandriva-is-a-fantastic-scientific-platform/

Mandriva Linux 2010 Spring RC2