[News] GNU/Linux Desktops Good Enough for Dell, Education

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Desktops Good Enough for Dell, Education
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:16:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Dell Tests Googleâs Chrome Operating System on Some Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell Inc., the worldâs third-largest
| personal-computer maker, is testing Google
| Inc.âs Chrome operating system on some
| computers, a move that might give users an
| alternative to Microsoft Corp.âs Windows.
|
| Trials of Chrome OS are being conducted on
| prototypes of netbook-style devices and
| tablet computers, Stephen J. Felice, Dellâs
| consumer and small and medium business
| president, said in an interview yesterday
| at Dellâs annual analyst meeting.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-25/dell-tests-google-s-chrome-operating-system-on-some-computers.html

GNU/Linux is More Than Good Enough in Education

,----[ Quote ]
| My high school just did reports using word-
| processing documents file-shared and write-
| locked. I donât think we had a single
| collision amongs four teachers and all
| their studentsâ reports. Some teachers used
| GNU/Linux and some used that other OS. It
| all worked. Indeed the simpler interface of
| FLOSS apps tends to be easier for students
| to learn which lowers the overhead of
| introducing them to particular apps.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/06/25/gnulinux-is-more-than-good-enough-in-education/

Recent:

Dell hops on Google Chrome OS bandwagon

,----[ Quote ]
| Amit Midha, Dell's president for Greater
| China and South Asia, told Reuters Monday
| that Dell wants to be a leader in the
| âunique innovationsâ that are coming to
| market in the next two to three years. Dell
| is working with Google to see where Chrome
| and Android fit with the ânew form of
| computing,â he said.
`----

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=221957

Google's Chrome OS Ventures Into Windows' Turf

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.crn.com/software/225701107