[News] Heaps of New and Lesser-known Applications for GNU/Linux Only

  • Subject: [News] Heaps of New and Lesser-known Applications for GNU/Linux Only
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:17:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Minitunes â Yet Another Music Player?

,----[ Quote ]
| The developer of Minitube, the desktop
| YouTube player for Linux, has revealed a
| new music player called Minitunes. There
| are innumerable music players players
| available for Linux; many of them no
| different from the other.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/minitunes-yet-another-music-player.html

Minitunes released for Mac OS X and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Flavio Tordini, an Italian software
| developer and creator of Minitube, has
| announced the release of the first version
| of his new cross-platform Minitunes music
| player. According to Tordini, who
| considers his application to be "just
| another music player, only better",
| Minitunes is designed to provide a "clean
| and innovative interface".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Minitunes-released-for-Mac-OS-X-and-Linux-1033532.html

A Note-Slinging Dynamic Duo

,----[ Quote ]
| Using two note-taking applications in
| tandem -- Basket Note Pads and QToDo --
| leaves the user wanting for few, if any,
| additional features. Basket's extensive
| use of tags is a real plus, and its
| always-on nature makes quick access a
| breeze. Meanwhile, QToDo shines in task-
| tracking. Perhaps merging both sets of
| functions into one app would create the
| ideal note-taking environment.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/A-Note-Slinging-Dynamic-Duo-70355.html

Roundup: Text Based Text Editors

,----[ Quote ]
| For some reason, text editors are
| something that us Unix geeks get very
| passionate about. Whether itâs an argument
| over which editor is better, or just
| professing our love for our favourite
| keyboard shortcuts, itâs an emotive issue.
`----

http://fosswire.com/post/2010/07/text-based-text-editors/

Linux for Professional Photography

,----[ Quote ]
| When browsing and culling a folder of RAW
| files (in my case Nikon NEF) Irfanview is
| exceptionally fast as it reads the
| embedded JPEG preview rather than
| interpreting the RAW data. The preview
| file is a full resolution file, but
| compressed with "basic" JPEG quality. When
| you shoot RAW files and review the images
| on the camera's LCD, it's the preview
| files you're looking at.
|
| Irfanview is also fast and intuitive for
| batch functions such as resizing images
| and IPTC captioning.
|
| For the first time since switching mostly
| to Linux almost two years ago, I can do
| all my image editing in Linux without
| compromise, even for the most complex
| professional jobs.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2010/07/linux_for_professional_photogr.php

GmailWatcher - Another way to get GMail alerts in the Ubuntu Messaging Menu

,----[ Quote ]
| If Evolution is overkill for your needs
| than a simple Gmail notification
| application is ideal.
|
| There are plenty of solutions available -
| in fact we've reviewed two such
| applications previously.
|
| Say hello to another, then, as we peek at
| GMailWatcher - a simple Messaging Menu
| application for alerting you to new mails
| in your inbox right on your desktop.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/gmailwatcher-another-way-to-get-gmail.html

GIMP Plugin Registry 3.5.1 Gets ~129 New Plugins

,----[ Quote ]
| A new GIMP Plugin Registry version was
| released today in Debian - 3.5, which
| failed to build under Ubuntu (because of a
| Python bug in Ubuntu Karmic and Lucid).
| After exchanging lots of emails with Bernd
| Zeimetz, the Debian maintainer of the GIMP
| Plugin Registry, he was able to locate the
| issue and fix it so Ubuntu users can enjoy
| these new plugins already. That's why he
| released yet another version today -
| 3.5.1. And as always, the latest version
| is now available in the WebUpd8 PPA.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/gimp-plugin-registry-351-gets-129-new.html

Maestro, strike up the MIDI

,----[ Quote ]
| The Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard (VMPK) is
| a MIDI event generator â a program that
| converts mouse actions and keystrokes in
| your computer into MIDI events, which can
| be sent to other programs or devices that
| understand MIDI and produce sound. It also
| receives MIDI events from other programs
| or external devices, displaying note
| events as highlighted piano keys,
| indicating control change events by moving
| the knobs in the toolbars, and so on.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/maestro-strike-up-the-midi/

Linux Foundation releases Windows accessibility software under BSD

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation's Open A11y
| (Accessibility) Workgroup has announced
| the release of IAccessible2 for Windows
| version 1.2 under a BSD licence.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Linux-Foundation-releases-Windows-accessibility-software-under-BSD-1033626.html

6 More of the Best Free Linux Finance Software

,----[ Quote ]
| We have all read stories about people who
| have experimented living without spending
| any money whatsoever. By growing their own
| food, washing in the river, using a solar
| panel to provide electricity, and
| bartering for certain goods and services,
| these adventures have met with limited
| success. However, for us mere mortals the
| simple fact is that we need money. Money
| to buy food, to purchase clothes, to pay
| our bills, as well as indulging in our
| other infinite wants and desires.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/2010070315143966/Finance.html

Patched NotifyOSD Updates: Option To Place The Notifications In Different Screen Corners, Timeout Fix

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/patched-notifyosd-updates-option-to.html

Nip2 spreadsheet-like graphical image manipulation tool front end to the VIPS package.

,----[ Quote ]
| VIPS is an image processing system
| designed with efficiency in mind. It is
| good with large images (images larger than
| the amount of RAM in your machine), and
| for working with colour. It can perform
| many image manipulation tasks much faster
| than other packages such as ImageMagick
| and the GIMP and includes some special
| features such as creating single "mosaic"
| images from multiple parts.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/07/nip2-spreadsheet-like-graphical-image.html

Qmmp - Slick Winamp Like Music Player For Linux With Support For Winamp Skins

,----[ Quote ]
| Qmmp is a simple, fast and versatile
| Winamp or XMMS like music player for
| Linux. It is written primarily with the
| help of Qt library. Qmmp supports almost
| all kinds of music formats out there and
| it is down to earth simple to use and
| configure.
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/07/qmmp-slick-winamp-like-music-player-for.html

Top Ten Apps That Make Linux Fun To Use

,----[ Quote ]
| Many Linux enthusiasts associate desktop
| Linux with their repetitive daily routine.
| Same old, same old.
|
| Looking to mix things up a little, I
| thought itâd be fun to take a more
| entertaining look at what we can do with
| our Linux boxes. Iâm listing ten
| noteworthy Linux applications that I find
| very fun to use.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3891361/Top-Ten-Apps-That-Make-Linux-Fun-To-Use.htm

HandBrake: The Best Beginner DVD Ripper

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems like I have a lot to talk about
| these days when it comes to digital media,
| and this article is no exception. As I
| discussed in a previous article, I feel
| that physical media (CDâs, Blu-Ray, DVD)
| is going away and in the future digital
| media will rule all. While this is a
| blessing since less shelf space would be
| taken up by stacks of media, it is also a
| curse since companies will likely push
| DRM. However, what if you wanted to adopt
| digital media on your own terms, using
| free software? Well, Handbrake is here to
| take care of digitizing your DVD
| collection.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1623

Re-conquer Konqueror with Rekonq

,----[ Quote ]
| The description of Rekonq is simple: the
| Konqueror browser using the WebKit engine.
| But itâs not quite that simple. Rekonq
| will be the new default browser for
| Kubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). This is
| a new project that will, hopefully,
| overcome some ofthe shortcomings of the
| current Konqueror browser. And in this
| article we will take a look at this new
| browser so all the Ghacks readers will be
| prepared when it lands on the new KDE
| desktop.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/06/re-conquer-konqueror-with-rekonq/

7 Reasons to Use the Opera Web Browser on Linux

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7112/1/