[News] Introduction to Lesser-known GNU/Linux Games, New Games

  • Subject: [News] Introduction to Lesser-known GNU/Linux Games, New Games
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:20:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

4 Linux Games You Probably Have Not Played

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the Linux sites that list games
| tend to highlight the same bunch; however,
| there are a few hidden gems that you may
| have missed but are still worth playing.
| In no particular order, here are four you
| might want to try.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/4-linux-games-you-probably-have-not-played/2010/07/07

Chromium BSU is a shining 2-D shooter

,----[ Quote ]
| July is when the summer doldrums start to
| threaten. If you feel your hammock
| calling, resist the temptation, and turn
| instead to Chromium B.S.U., an adrenaline-
| pumping 2-D vertical shooter.
|
| The game has been around for about 10
| years. Creator Mark B. Allan came up with
| it after trying out a Linux port of a DOS
| shooter called Raptor. âI began to wonder
| how hard it would be to write a similar
| type of game using OpenGL. I had been
| wanting to experiment with SDL and OpenAL
| for a while, and this seemed like a good
| opportunity.â
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/chromium-bsu-is-a-shining-2-d-shooter/

Sake Visual â Indie Visual Novel Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| There are several âunknownâ game companies
| which are very friendly towards GNU/Linux,
| yet because of the poor publicity none
| heard about them.
| One of those GNU/Linux friendly gaming
| companies is Sake Visual.
| They released 3 games so far and all of
| them have a native GNU/Linux client, 2 of
| the games where released as freeware.
`----

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/sake-visual-indie-visual-novel-studio/

Planet Stronghold Alpha Available !

,----[ Quote ]
| Winter Wolves which I posted about earlier, is a very friendly
| company towards GNU/Linux users and released many games for our
| beloved platform (and many are yet to come).
|
| They are now working on a Japanese style Sci-Fi RPG game which
| resembles the old (2d) Final Fantasy games a little (at least
| in turn based battle mode gameplay).
`----

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/planet-stronghold-alpha-available/

Recent:

LettersFall 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| A new game has been brought to our attention
| called LettersFall which is a cross between
| between Scabble(R) and Tetris(R). This game
| offers the following items to the Linux
| community.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/15417

MegaGlest 3.3.5 Pre-release special!

,----[ Quote ]
| A new version of MegaGlest will be released
| sometime today! Once it is head over here to
| download it! A short changelog can be found
| here.
|
| MegaGlest is a relatively recent fork of the
| quite well known FOSS Game Glest, which ceased
| development some time back. Now that Megaglest
| has taken up the development, things have
| advanced quite quickly (in contrast to the
| other promising Glest fork GAE) and Glest now
| finally has the long deserved cross platform
| multiplayer and a proper master-server with a
| games lobby! Furthermore Megaglest includes all
| the factions known from the Megapack before,
| bumping the total number up to 5.
`----

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2010/06/megaglest-335-pre-release-special.html

Red Eclipse

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Eclipse was pointed out to us here at
| LinuxGames. It is a free/open source game
| that was built from a total conversion from
| the Cube Engine 2 The game is a single-
| player and multi-player first-person ego-
| shooter wirh a âgeneral theme of agility in
| a variety of environmentsâ.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/15375

Linux Games: Chromium B.S.U.