Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 10:10:55AM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 12:29:32PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Also, Debian owes the FSF an apology.  That apology should be at least
> > as public as the offence.

> +1

> This is vital; what Linus said was completely not OK.

> As to Tollef's point, this happened with Debian's space, and for us to
> not say anything would be tacit endorsement from the project.

Debian didn't say "nothing".  If you watch the video, you'll see that there
was a steady stream of Debian folks standing up to the mic to challenge
Linus's views.  Far from a tacit endorsement, I think the Debian community
acquitted itself very well in its interactions with him.

I don't think an attention-grabbing public statement adds anything further
to this.

> Better remove all doubt and apologize. It's not like an "unnecessary"
> apology hurts anyone.

It does if it makes Debian look petty and disorganized.

> If this was some guy off the street, would we stand for that? No. We're
> tolerating this because he's Linus. If it was some DD? Perhaps. We're a
> bit too lax on calling people on their bullshit because a lot of us are
> anti-authority.

I think you have this entirely backwards.  I don't think anyone would be
demanding a public apology for the things the speaker said if it *wasn't*
Linus.  I think it's only *because* of his stature that anyone is worried
about our distancing ourselves from his views - when to anyone who's really
paying attention, it should already be clear that he doesn't speak for us.

> Only with Linus can you call someone a deceitful bigiot or claim to have
> no respect for humans without them justifying themselves to you and have
> the community jump to your defence.

I haven't seen *our* community jump to Linus's defense at all.  I only see
that there's not a consensus that we should publicly censure him for these
comments, not that people are generally agreeing with his position.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx