Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 12:32:01PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I haven't seen *our* community jump to Linus's defense at all.  I only see
> that there's not a consensus that we should publicly censure him for these
> comments, not that people are generally agreeing with his position.

For what it's worth, I happen to agree with Linus's positions.  I just
didn't say anything about that because it's out of scope of this
discussion.  Debian has a different community values about appropriate
behaviour on mailing lists than Linus has.  And I happen to believe
that one open source community has the right or mandate to impose its
values on another.  And this applies whether it is Debian or the
Kernel Development community, or vice versa.

Of course, if someone wants to be a member of one community, or
interact in one community's "public space", then that person should
behave according to that community's code of conduct.  So I happened
to consider it in bad taste when a questioner wanted to call out how
Linus behaves on a non-Debian list.  Linus didn't seem to mind, and he
gave an answer that I suspect many Debian members would disagree with.
And that's fine.  The Debian community and the Linux Kernel
development community are different things.  And if you don't like to
participate in a community given its value and its rules, you have the
freedom to do that.

That being said, I suspect many people who wring their hands about
Linus's supposed misbehaviour on the kernel mailing lists are only
seeing it from the perspective of the news media who are looking for
click bait, just as many people felt free to jump to conclusions
without being there or watching the video.  So what I suspect many
people object to is the caricature, not the reality.

Cheers,

					- Ted