Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

Ian Jackson <ijackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Linus described the FSF as `bigots'.  That is clearly beyond the pale.

> As part of that extended tirade he accused them of lying, in so many
> words.  That is a very serious accusation which he didn't really back
> up.  Under the circumstances I think at the very least he should have
> minced his words.

I don't agree with this.  I don't think that referring to people that way
is a violation of our CoC, at least necessarily.  It's right on the
borderline between personal insult and evaluation of the possible facts of
an incident, and it's a term, and a discussion, that we need to be able to
have precisely to be able to talk about CoC issues intelligibly.

There were a lot of things that Linus said that I disagree with, very
strongly, but I don't think that expressing sharp disagreement and belief
in the dishonesty of another person is itself a CoC violation.  It's
heated rhetoric, to be sure, but it's still rhetoric that's part of a
broader conversation, and it was put in the context of a sharp
disagreement over licensing and kept contextual to a discussion of the
history of the GPLv3.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxx)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>