Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Hedderly <paul@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> It is clear that you can't tollerate LT because he has a different
>> opinion of what is appropriate in regards to how others should be
>> treated.
>
> I'm not fond of that characterization of my opinion.  I think it misses a
> key distinction.
>
> I do not care what Linus's personal opinion about what is appropriate is.
> He's free to hold whatever opinion he wishes; that does not affect me, and
> it only has a secondary effect on the community.  What I cannot tolerate
> is his *behavior*, which is aggressively nasty, hostile, and destructive
> to the community, and which can cause real damage by demoralizing and
> driving away people who otherwise could be part of our community.  And
> which is, beyond that, just unacceptable treatment of other human beings.
>
> By this, I do *not* mean his behavior at DebConf, which I thought was
> blunt but which didn't cross where I would put that line.  I mean his
> behavior within the Linux kernel community, as has been well-documented
> and discussed elsewhere, and which he chose to actively defend at DebConf.
>
> This has nothing to do with a difference of opinions.  It has to do with
> specific public behavior that hurts other people.
>
>> Two phrases in that startled me:
>
>>   "Linus does not treat people with respect by _my_ definition of the word."
>>       "he is not meeting that standard, and that's unacceptable."
>
>> I'll tread carefully here - I really do not want to offend.
>> I feel the above statements could be argued to fit this definition:
>
>>       http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bigot
>>       NOUN : A person who is intolerant towards those holding different
>>          opinions
>
>> And I think bigotry is sometimes a good thing. I am intollerant towards
>> people who think its ok to murder or rape, or perform FGM etc etc. So I
>> am a bigot, and I would hope most people are bigotted towards such
>> things.
>
> This is an old argument in this space.  There's lots and lots of
> discussion of the problems with this argument on-line.  The summary is
> that, while you can technically define intolerance of bigotry as bigotry
> using a fine parsing of the dictionary, this is not a useful definition
> and it's not what people intend by the term.  It only leads to digressing
> into pointless meta-arguments, which interferes with addressing the actual
> problem.
>
>> The problem I have with the quotes above in this case is that - "not
>> meeting that standard, and that's unacceptable." depends on an absolute
>> - that some standard or other is an absolute that all people must abide
>> by.
>
>> Where do absolutes come from? Well, not from concensus. This thread has
>> demonstrated that.
>
> They come from ethics, wherever one might want to derive ethics from,
> which is a much larger conversation.  However, communities can agree on
> [...]

Russ,

Thanks for this, I concur that there are two meanings of Respect,
basically for lack of better words I call them Empathy vs Admiration.
The majority of Debian community members seem to be striving for a
state where we treat others with empathy-respect, even if we don't
necessarily admire-respect them.

I also agree, that while I found the tension in the room during parts
of Linus' Q&A discomforting/awkward, that the CoC was not violated.
That said, if we want to strive towards being a more family-friendly
event, we need to do more to clearly discourage the use of course/foul
language by speakers.

I'd like to raise one point from Linus' talk that I don't want to see
dropped due to the CoC discussion, and wonder where the appropriate
place to discuss it would be?  (I don't think it should be in private,
but I personally feel that it's a major issue that we are not
addressing.)

Linus made a point about how application developers find it really
difficult to target "Linux", which obviously includes Debian. I agree
and feel the pace of modern application development requires that
useful and actively developed software needs a way to be updated much
more frequently outside of the constraints of a typical Linux distro
release cadence. Telling users to run unstable or testing isn't really
a solution either. (They are called testing and unstable for a
reason).

I don't think -project is the place for this? Perhaps d-d?

Thanks,
Brian