Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On 5 September 2014 07:18, Russ Allbery <rra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By this, I do *not* mean his behavior at DebConf, which I thought was
> blunt but which didn't cross where I would put that line.  I mean his
> behavior within the Linux kernel community, as has been well-documented
> and discussed elsewhere, and which he chose to actively defend at DebConf.

I tend to agree with this.  The Linux kernel community is getting a  very
negative reputation as being hostile, and I think this is damaging to other
Linux related communities. Not sure what Debian can do, if anything, about
this.

I haven't seen the video, however from everything I have read it sounds
like he didn't cross any lines in the talk.

The disagreement here seems to stem from the fact that some people hear
"bigot" as an offensive word and some do not.

It doesn't matter what the dictionary definition says - if you find a word
offensive you are unlikely to double check with a dictionary and find out
if you are right to be offended or not.

My personal thought is we have to accept this can accidentally and
unintentionally occur with a large global community, there will always be
words that are ok for some people, but not for others.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Linus did not intend for the word
to be offensive, despite other incidents on the Linux kernel mailing lists.
Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Assume_good_faith
--
Brian May <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>