Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

Brian May <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 5 September 2014 07:18, Russ Allbery <rra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> By this, I do *not* mean his behavior at DebConf, which I thought was
>> blunt but which didn't cross where I would put that line.  I mean his
>> behavior within the Linux kernel community, as has been well-documented
>> and discussed elsewhere, and which he chose to actively defend at DebConf.
>>

> I tend to agree with this.  The Linux kernel community is getting a  very
> negative reputation as being hostile, and I think this is damaging to other
> Linux related communities. Not sure what Debian can do, if anything, about
> this.
>
> I haven't seen the video, however from everything I have read it sounds
> like he didn't cross any lines in the talk.
>
> The disagreement here seems to stem from the fact that some people hear
> "bigot" as an offensive word and some do not.

There's also the fact that Linus never said the word 'bigot' -- so
putting it in quotes throughout this thread seems unhelpful.

I know that Ian started the ball rolling with the 'bigot' misquote,
which does make me wonder if he correctly recalls the rest of what he's
complaining about.  I encourage him, and anyone else that's still
interested to watch the 51st minute of the video:

  http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2014/debconf14/webm/QA_with_Linus_Torvalds.webm

Actually, for those still tempted to witter on about this here, why not
devote 5 minutes that you might otherwise be tempted to write an email
in, and watch the whole response to Clint's GPLv3 question, starting at
0:47:20 (there, I made it easy for you.  If you have difficulties with
the .webm version, I had luck with vlc, or it's available via youtube)

Since many people still have not bothered to watch it, I'll quote Linus
properly.  What was actually said was 'bigoted', in this sentence:

  The FSF is full of crazy, bigoted people.

but he went on to say that he'd probably overstated that, and then
within seconds restated that as:

  The FSF has a lot of nice people in it, but some of them are a bit
  too extreme.

So, it seems to me that this is a complaint about a mis-remembered
statement that was only allowed to stand for about 10 seconds before
being corrected.

Arguing about the nuance of the meaning of the word bigot rather misses
the point when it wasn't actually said, and what was said was instantly
withdrawn.

Can we please stop this now?

Cheers, Phil.