Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 10:44:18AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On 5 September 2014 07:18, Russ Allbery <rra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > By this, I do *not* mean his behavior at DebConf, which I thought was
> > blunt but which didn't cross where I would put that line.  I mean his
> > behavior within the Linux kernel community, as has been well-documented
> > and discussed elsewhere, and which he chose to actively defend at DebConf.
> >

> I tend to agree with this.  The Linux kernel community is getting a  very
> negative reputation as being hostile, and I think this is damaging to other
> Linux related communities. Not sure what Debian can do, if anything, about
> this.
>
> I haven't seen the video, however from everything I have read it sounds
> like he didn't cross any lines in the talk.

Note that he chose to defend his behavior after being invited to
Debconf, and then having some people question him about his behaviour
in forums where the Debian CoC does not apply --- and so in quite a
confrontational manner; not in a way that a reasonable person could
considered "friendly" and "welcoming" (two words which appear with a
*much* higher frequency than "respect").

Take a look at the video, and then see if you think that's a way you
think it's right to treat someone who is invited into your space.

And so therefore, based on the fact that he responded in fairly good
humor to a subject which *Ian* brought up, he should be banned for
life from all Debian events?  I don't think Linus will mind, but it
says a lot more about Debian than it does about him.

Think about how Australians might feel if the US were to try to insist
that US laws applied in Austrlia, and tried to enforce US laws outside
of its jurisdiction.

And yet people in Debian think it's OK for Debian to impose its Norms
on other open source communities?  Good luck with that.  Debian
doesn't have the drones that the US Military has; and even if it did,
it wouldn't make it right.

	      	       	     - Ted