Re: Formatting Hard-drives and Recovery

James Knott wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> Actually, hex F6 for the nigglers amongst us . . . :-)
>>

>> I don't think in hex anymore. Hardware professionals need to be better
>> orientated in hex,
>
> Many years ago, I used to work a lot with octal, both on my IMSAI 8080 and
> at work, with Data General computers.  In both systems, octal made it
> easier to work with machine code, compared to hex.  In fact, I had pretty
> well learned the octal values for the 8080 instruction set, so that I
> could actually read & write code in octal.
>
> Lessee now...
>
> 303 - jump
> 315 - call
> 076 - Move immediate, A
> 160 - Move B to memory
> 311 - return
>
> etc.
>
> Ah...  The memories...  (all 16K of them   ;-)

*LOL*

I only later realised that exchanging my zeros with hex F6 was not
justified. I was talking about 0 as a _bit_ (no charge), not 0 as a _byte_
(ASCII character). Then again, maybe I misunderstood it all in that
context.

My first introduction to hex was in Norton Commander when I was probably
11ish. The file viewer displayed binary also in hex mode unless the file
was readable in ASCII encoding.