Re: DVD Jon

__/ [Linønut] on Saturday 15 October 2005 15:52 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> I should, however, point out that proprietary is going to slow down the
>> change in tide and buy Microsoft some time (if they ever get their sh**
>> together before it's too later). The conversion of data is a
>> labour-intensive task (I know because I had to migrate plenty of diverse
>> data), which luckily is eased by Open Source projects on their own right.
>> Thunderbird, for example, is now able to import both mail and settings
>> (without any lossy transitions) from Microsoft clients. Firefox likewise,
>> cookies included. Let us add DVD Jon's reverse engineering of Microsoft
>> media formats, Google Talk and the rise of W3C impact.
>
> The Wall Street Journal for Oct. 15/16 has an interesting article about
> "DVD Jon" and his stirring up of the big-media hornets nest.

Like he clearly says, "so sue him!". Resistance to bodies that capitalise on
immuning themselves against resistance ought to be toppled, where possible.
I am also thinking about software patents (Amazon) and undeserved
ownerships (e.g. Google Groups).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
  4:05pm  up 51 days  4:19,  5 users,  load average: 0.97, 0.73, 0.55