Re: Restricting searches of a sub-set of web sites

  • Subject: Re: Restricting searches of a sub-set of web sites
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 02:39:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search
__/ [djborder@xxxxxxx] on Thursday 27 October 2005 11:50 \__

> Is it possible to do the following:
>
> 1.  Prepare a subset of, say, 1,000 websites that are particularly
> relevant to an industry.
>
> 2.  Use a variety of search engines to search just those site and no
> others.
>

> Regards,
>
> David Border

Google permits you to restrict your search (making it narrower) by using the
site:example.org element. The same syntax does not work in Yahoo, but as
they do site-specific searches, I bet they support that ability too (see

I have just tried searching over multiple (limited in scape) sites in Google,
but this does not appear to work. Your best solution would probably be to
script (hand-craft) some individual site searches and then aggregate these
in one way or another. A number like 1,000, however, is somewhat daunting.

Of course, there is also the possibility that something obvious evades me
here.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
  2:30am  up 63 days 12:39,  5 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.47, 0.47