Re: YOU Broke KDE

__/ [Harold Stevens] on Friday 28 October 2005 11:05 \__

> In <djru6h$232r$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Roy Schestowitz:
>
> [Snip...]
>
>> Thanks for your kind help. The problem is now solved.
>
> Ah...the old ".xinitrc behind my back" trick.     :)
>
> Glad you got it worked out. BTW, speaking of .xinitrc, if you're planning
> on moving to 10.0 anytime soon, headsup (from the 10. Release Notes):
>
>   Setting Up D-BUS for Interprocess Communication in .xinitrc
>
>   Many applications now rely on D-BUS for interprocess communication
>   (IPC). Calling dbus-launch starts dbus-daemon. The systemwide
>   /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc uses dbus-launch to start the window manager.
>
>   If you have a local ~/.xinitrc file, you must change it accordingly.
>   Otherwise applications like f-spot, banshee, tomboy, or Network Manager
>   banshee might fail. Save your old ~/.xinitrc. Then copy the new template
>   file into your home directory with:
>
>               cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc.template ~/.xinitrc
>
>   Finally, add your customizations from the saved .xinitrc.

Thanks for the heads-up, Harold. That machine which I set up is only intended
to play music (amaroK) and serve as a backup unit. So, I doubt an upgrade
will ever be necessary. I have never dealt with .xinitrc and other such
settings files before yesterday. I at least learned from that experience.