Re: Frozen plus cursor

  • Subject: Re: Frozen plus cursor
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:47:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [Centurion] on Monday 31 October 2005 05:39 \__

> jdavyd williams wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

>>> Yes! Exactly what I was about to suggest even before I read the response.
>>> That grey cursor often indicates that drag-and-drop is not a possibility.
>>> I am fairly sure this only ever shows up when using Firefox. Speaking of
>>> Kubuntu, I heard somewhere that is is less stable then Ubuntu, if not
>>> more broadly filled with bugs.
>>>
>>> Hope it helps,
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>

>> a lot of folks make the mistake of thinking that if you want to run KDE,
>> you *have* to run Kubuntu, which is just not so. One can install Ubuntu,
>> and then apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, and it will install all the
>> required KDE packages.
>
> Kubuntu and Ubuntu actually use identical code/package bases.  The ONLY
> difference between them is the default window manager that is installed.
> In Ubuntu, you get Gnome+GTK, in Kubuntu you get KDE+Qt.  If you do a
> "server" installation, you get neither, however, if (after completing a
> server install) you then "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" you have Kubuntu
> (s/kubuntu/ubuntu/g).

Yes, so I heard recently. I thought Kubuntu was fundamentally different in
the way it had been build. I am not sure about Edubuntu yet, but I very much
like the idea of academic distributions.

I hope Ubuntu do not end up like Vista and its 7 flavours. We have enough
distributions of Linux already. The last things we need are subsets for each
distribution as well.

"So... which O/S should I go with?" -- Linux

"So... which distribution of Linux?" -- X

"And... what edition of that distribution?" -- Y

"What desktop environment?" -- Z

This is confusing to the prospective user, so I hope it gets the point
across.

> I run both Ubuntu and Kubuntu from default installations and have found no
> difference in stability on both IA32 and/or AMD64 platforms.  If anything
> the KDE systems are more stable and feature-rich than the Gnome ones - but
> all the bugs I've experienced are the result of the window manager and/or
> desktop environment.  The underlying OS has identical stability (or
> instability) regardless if the desktop environment.
>
> Usual disclaimers apply.  YMMV etc.

Interesting. I like Ubuntu, but the absence of KDE always deters me slightly.
I use Ubuntu at this moment, but pipe into a SuSE (KDE) machine because it's
so much richer...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  9:40am  up 66 days 15:29,  4 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.11, 0.21