Re: Solution to Windows Zombies?

__/ [Mike] on Monday 31 October 2005 09:26 \__

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:39:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Would that stop the DoS attacks? Would it give Microsoft the incentive to
>>do something on the matter...?
>>
>>Microsoft have not even apologised. From what I hear, such hijacked
>>machines are also used to deliver spam by the millions, from untraceable IP
>>addresses. It is not only me who is affected; it is anyone who uses E-mail.
>
> Estimates of the numbers of compromised Windows machines on the
> Internet seem to have given up counting after ten million.

Some of the spammers have accumulated armies of 100,000 zombies or more. They
either use them for E-mail spam or DoS attacks. Some suggest that the
zombies are also used to fool Google's AdSense program (reference on
demand). This essentially means that companies which advertise have their
investment go down the drain while many unique IP's reach their site in
vain.

> I honestly don't see a solution other than disconnecting all Windows
> machines from the Net by international treaty.  It's not feasible, of
> course, but there's no practical solution.
>
> Mike.

/Somebody/ has got to work /something/ out. I can't carry on like this and I
know others who suffer much like myself. If no solution is found soon, I can
envision people practically taking their baseball bats and flying off to
Redmond.