Re: Linux is for... work?

  • Subject: Re: Linux is for... work?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:36:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jeremy Fisher ] on Monday 24 April 2006 14:19 \__

> DFS wrote:
>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=110016492&size=m
>>
>> A card game, a radio stream playing, a Gimp session, an Xgl script being
>> edited, and 5 transparent windows rendering the system almost unreadable.
>
> I see that it is on desktop 1, what about desktop 2, or 3, or 4..20, could
> be they are using several virtual desktops using various WM with up to 20
> desktops each. Can windows use more than a single desktop? Does Windows
> have virtual WM? Can I have different desktops ie Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox, all
> running at the same time on windows?
>
> You clearly have no idea.
>
>> Linux: for when you get tired of real work
>
> Windows: A bit like waiting for the next earthquake to hit, when still
> recovering from the aftershocks of the last one.
> Jem..

Not to worry. Even Windows has some purposeless eye candy. Paul Thurrott got
me all excited about Aero Glass, too.

,----[ Quote ]
| "the reality of glass windows is
| that they stink ... But the visual difference between the topmost
| window (that is, the window with which you are currently interacting,
| or what we might describe as the window with focus) and any other
| windows (i.e. those windows that are visually located "under" the
| topmost window) is subtle at best. More to the point, you can't tell
| topmost windows from other windows at all. And don't pretend you can."
`----

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
  2:30pm  up 1 day 23:27,  9 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.82, 0.86