Re: Web based reader for collaborative filtering?

  • Subject: Re: Web based reader for collaborative filtering?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:29:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: news.software.readers
__/ [ Paul_B ] on Sunday 23 April 2006 17:45 \__

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:49:19 +0200, Szeged wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've written a rudimentary prototype of a web based
>> (JavaScript+PHP) usenet client. My end goal is to test whether
>> collaborative filtering is something that can be done in a
>> usenet enviroment, and whether it's useful.
>>
>> But before I proceed, I'd like to hear some input from veteran
>> Usenet audience.
>>
>> 1. Would you ever use a browser based client? If not, why not?
>> 2. Do you use filtering features of your client? Would you use
>> collaborative filtering if it was supported?
>>
>> The idea is simple: let users rank both other users and
>> articles (like at slashdot for example). Use that data to
>> emphasize interesting articles. The target area of deployment
>> are obviously groups with lots of traffic and noise.
>>
>> Here's my prototype reader:
>> http://www.simun.info/ajax/a3.htm
>>
>> If you have Firefox 1.5.0.1 you can try it out. Just choose
>> news.software.readers from the dropdown menu and click [Rfsh].
>> It should load 10 newest messages.
>>
>> The ranking system is not implemented yet. The system is not
>> very fast, so I'm waiting for some input whether it is useable
>> at all.
>

> Interesting idea, but it seems the rankings would have to come
> from within a closed system - your user base. After getting used
> to the Yahoo Web message boards, coming back to Usenet seems very
> incomplete without Recs to flag good messages and reward good
> posters. I'd like to see a movement to get recs included in basic
> nntp protocol, but then unless it's controlled it would be
> subject to massive abuse. So I guess registration is necessary.
>
> p.

Good point, Paul.

OP, I suggest you have a look at akismet.com. This service provides API's,
which enable many different clients to push spam information and pull
discriminant information from a central database. This has /not/ been
subjected to much abuse so far. If you could manage a system that is making
use of a large userbase on a native client (no, I rarely consider Web-based
software because if ever I move from one place to another, I SSH with X
forwarding), then demand and interest will soar. In turn, developers of news
readers will make use of your service and incorporate that for many to grip.
This has been the case with Akismet whose hooks are supported by more and
more CMS's by the month. I was among the testers, so I am rather familiar
with it.

Best wishes and good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:20am  up 1 day 15:17,  12 users,  load average: 1.07, 0.92, 0.89