Re: Windows Sucks - A Wakeup Call

__/ [ AZ Nomad ] on Sunday 23 April 2006 17:13 \__

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:26:54 -0500, JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>....just bought an external disk for the mother-in-law. Her machine
>>has started to get sluggish and she thinks she needs to buy a new one. She
>>probably just needs to do some housecleaning. But, I am not interested in
>>going to that sort of trouble so I will not suggest this. I don't do
>>Windows anymore.
>
>>Anyways, she will get a new and faster machine without really needing
>>one simply because her old one is not maintainable.
>
> That is so incredibly common it's not funny.
> Probably more than half of all pc sales are due to windows being
> unmaintainable.
>
> Choice 1: bring it to the PC shop yet again, pay $150 for cleanup
> Choice 2: buy a new PC for $400
>
> After the third time of choosing #1, #2 starts looking very attractive.
>
> Until the new PC needs to be reloaded.

I  strongly agree with AZ Nomad on this one. I had to forcibly argue  with
my  mother  as she insisted on buying a new PC. Her machine  was  infested
with worms despite the defences that my sister had set up. It was hopless,
so  Windows had to be installed from scratch. Guess what? It was fast  and
satisfactory  therafter...  until a few software installations  (Registery
bloats) and inevitable infections.

The  computer (as in "hardware") industry must be cashing in on neglected,
thrown out machines, which infected day by day and burn up resources. This
also  enables  Microsoft  to force upgrades and sell more licences  for  a
reportedly  larger  number  of  workstations (something  that  Apple,  for
instance, are unable to do at quite the same level).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:10am  up 1 day 12:07,  12 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.38, 0.45