Re: Windows Sucks - A Wakeup Call

__/ [ AZ Nomad ] on Friday 21 April 2006 15:14 \__

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 05:22:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Every once in a while, especially while on vacation in foreign houses, I
>>receive a reminder as to why Windows is an _utterly terrible_ environment
>>for work. Among the many perils that I had: O/S comes incomplete and
>>remains incomplete in most households, e.g. no graphical toolkit other than
>>paint.exe, no Web browser with something as fundamental as the notion of
>>the tab. Then come deficiencies such as:
>
>>-Only a single (virtual) desktop
>
>>-No clipboard stack. Copy something and say farewell to whatever else you
>>help. Forget about being about to copy 3 things and then spew them out.
>
>>-Speed is terrible. It makes you re-evaluate the need for so-called
>>bleeding-edge hardware, which Linux rarely needs.
>
>>-Crashes. The modern Windows XP computer crashed on me for no reason. It
>>took no less than 5 minutes to restore and attain the same position. By
>>that point, the trail of thought was cut. Where is productivity? Where has
>>user confidence gone?
>
>>Anyone who chooses to use Windows for day-to-day use has my commiserations.
>>It is sad to think that many people out there are handling businesses in
>>such a poor environment. I have not even touched the issue of security,
>>among others. This is just q quick mental note that I had to unburden
>>myself of.
>
> I use both at work:  linux for s/w development and windows for email,
> document development, internet access.
>
> Probably 20% of my time on the windows  box is spent waiting for it to quit
> thrashing. It has "only" 384M of memory.  I'm not doing anything memory
> intensive, but just the combination of windows xp, sp2, and lotus notes
> takes it to its knees.

Funny you should mention this. I noticed the same issue. I used to think it
was the result of worms, but I was wrong, evidently.

By the way, I received an E-mail from my cousin yesterday. Last Sunday he was
putting up a vanity show, boasting the many applications he had accumulated
in Windows. He has /really/ nice and expensive hardware too. Here is the
message I received:

,----[ Message body ]
| My pc at home has crashed in a major way ...so may take a few days
| now...piece of crap MS
`----

He was referring to the sending of some videos that he had taken while I
visited. I hope he didn't lose data as well. This comes from a doctor who
typically defends Windows.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:25am  up  13:22,  9 users,  load average: 1.72, 1.08, 0.83