Re: [News] IBM's Shopping Spree Get US Antitrust Approval

__/ [ yttrx ] on Wednesday 30 August 2006 22:32 \__

>>> They don't buy competitors--they buy innovators.  That's the difference
>>> between IBM and a company like oh..say...Oracle.
>>
>> One company they could never successfully buy was MySQL. They tried. Same
>> with JBoss. They still retain that spite for Red Hat...
>
> Its probably best that they never did snatch up the mysql people---since
> mysql is particularly horrible at everything that DB2 is very good at.

Apart from cost?

Look at the impact of MySQL and Postures (Firebird?) on the Web. Where would
startups be? I have over 10 MySQL databases at the moment. If it cost money,
I'd be nowhere... no place to start. Same with CMS's, Web servers and other
types of software. All I have to do is pay for hardware, which is cheap. And
labour (maintenance) cost is low anyway, due to stability and reliability.

>> I think that Oracle's OSS shopping spree is now over. I think they paid
>> off all these startups and release dummy competition such as BerkeleyDB.
>>

> I was referring most to the PeopleSoft buyout...PeopleSoft's entire
> product line was a direct competitor against Oracle's more obscure (and
> entirely crappy) data mining/retention/management software.

Oh, yeah. That goes quite a while back. I remember that when I first
discovered that PeopleSoft had been acquired (some months afterwards) I was
amazed. That's like IBM buying UNiSYS, or worse... Microsoft taking over
Apple. Hostile takeovers...

At the moment, Microsoft gets Mozilla and Xensource to concentrate on
Windows, rather than the true origins.

Best wishes,