Re: [News] IBM's Shopping Spree Get US Antitrust Approval

__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 31 August 2006 15:31 \__

>> Apart from cost?
>>
>> Look at the impact of MySQL and Postures (Firebird?) on the Web. Where
>> would startups be? I have over 10 MySQL databases at the moment. If it
>> cost money, I'd be nowhere... no place to start. Same with CMS's, Web
>> servers and other types of software. All I have to do is pay for hardware,
>> which is cheap. And labour (maintenance) cost is low anyway, due to
>> stability and reliability.
>
> Yes, MySQL may lack a few features when you stack it up against a really
> huge commercial RDBMS like oracle, but it does everything the typical
> read-intensive shoestring web application needs at a price that can't be
> beat.  There is a truckload of applications and example code already
> available that interface with MySQL right out of the box.  This is one
> area where ubiquitous and good enough win the day.

I fully agree. Still, bear in mind that not everyone (including myself) is
willing to work/be enslaved hard for several weeks, merely collecting money
for some Photoshop licence. Instead, one can master the excellent GNU
imagine manipulation program and know that it will be there for 10 years
down the line... in 32-bit, 64-bit, Linux OS, Mac OS, or
Widgetcrazyfuturistic OS. It's good to find independence, cost-wise, as well
as in the interests and motvies of Open Source, leading to perpetuation. The
GIMP won't die. Someone will always take it or even fork it (GPL a must),
e.g. GIMPShop.

Okay, so it's more of an emotional comeback (not well stated)... but the
point to make here is that I would be nowhere if I did not have a wealth of
FOSS available. And I have a Windows background...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
roy      pts/0                         Thu Aug 31 14:45 - 14:45  (00:00)