Re: [News] IBM's Shopping Spree Get US Antitrust Approval

> Okay, so it's more of an emotional comeback (not well stated)... but the
> point to make here is that I would be nowhere if I did not have a wealth of
> FOSS available. And I have a Windows background...

Emotional, but valid.  The 'free as in beer' part of free software is
actually tied rather closely to the 'free as in speech' part.  The zero
pricetag makes it much more accessible to a broader range of people to
use and improve.

Open source software has helped me build a decent consulting career that
earns me a really nice living... but I do still appreciate that it is
free (in both senses).  If I lost everything and had to move to a
one room hovel with a crank powered $100 laptop, at least I could
still work with open source apps, still write code, and still write
satirical essays.  In a world where opportunities are harder and harder
to come buy for the less affluent, I appreciate the difference free
software can make in the lives of real people.

Cheers,

Thad

P.S. Since I'm feeling all civic minded all the sudden, I'll mention
that my Annual Halloween Birthday Bash is coming up this October 28th.
As always, its a charity fundraiser.  I'll provide bands, food, and
beer... guests should bring a food donation for the local Second
Harvest Food Pantry.  If any of you lot will be around the Milwaukee
Wisconsin area on that day, drop me a line and I'll send you an invite.
Heck, even the wintrolls are invited.  ;)