Re: Try doing this with Linux...

yttrx wrote:

__/ [ yttrx ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 18:55 \__

Apple, for some odd reason, is often associated with innovation. Their
Cocoa/Aqua/Brushed in itself is probably inspired by metallic GNOME themes
that I have seen many years ago, as well as Enlightenment. And the iPod is
just a radio transistor with some cumulative design and improvements.

Best wishes,

Roy

Now Roy, just because you love linux doesn't mean you have to hate everything else. Most things have their good points...with the exception of every bit of code ever produced by microsoft.

To wit:

Apple has been quite the innovator for the entirety of its existence, but
it's very important to understand that innovation!=invention.  They didnt
invent the PC, nor the server, nor the power button, nor the keyboard, nor
the mouse, nor the GUI, nor cathode ray tubes, nor LCD flatpanels, nor
the solenoids that drive your speakers, etc, etc...

But man, what they've done with what's been invented has been pretty
sweet, don't you think?

Yes, I agree. They have some good designers (visual). But Apple's homebrew code is a total disaster and akin to Microsoft's. I will never forget all these times that OS 9 froze on me completely... or the dependence on OE/IE, which are rubbish. Rightfully, you could argue it has evolved since, but it hasn't quite...

Don't forget that the majority of Apple's very unstable operating system code (and yup, I remember it, I used 7.5 through 9 myself) was written under
Gasse, not under Jobs.

Jobs at the time was over at NeXT systems, pulling brilliant code out of
brilliant programmers and designers.

I think the direction Apple has taken since they gave him his job back
has been a very good one, and quite honestly, don't you think it was a hell
of an enormous beached whale to deal with once Jobs was back in control?

Personally, I think he's done an exemplary job as a CEO for Apple, and that his methods should be taught at business schools all over the world.

And they are.  :)

Now, that said, I'm not planning on buying an Apple machine for a while
yet, and when I do it's going to be a laptop. I figure two to three years
from now is good enough for them to get the majority of the annoying bugs
worked out of their hardware/software combinations. By the time I buy
one, I'd like exploding batteries and glopped-on thermal paste to be a thing of the past.

Never buy version 1.0 of anything. I'd wait till at least the hardware version is around 3.0 or so.

http://inquirer.stanford.edu/2005/jstaffor/woz.html

Wozniak: "Microsoft, Apple and AOL, they tend to turn out the crappiest
products, you know, software-wise".

I think Wozniak was referring at least somewhat to the years between
Job's firing and rehiring.

That said, a lot of Microsoft's code is obtained through takeovers and
grossly merged with the already mal-constructed core.

Very true.  For a good time, run strings on your favorite microsoft binaries
and see what the programmers themselves think of their shitty code.

I'll have to try that one out this winter.

--
Where are we going?
And why am I in this handbasket?