Re: [News] Reviewer Calls Ubuntu Linux "an Ideal Windows Replacement"

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 05 December 2006 20:22 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:28:29 +0000
> <15152594.6SbkxJdg4t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:29 \__
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:27:29 +0000

>>> Hm.  I'll have to keep half an eye on that one. :-)  Of
>>> course the last DoJ action resulted in a settlement...and
>>> I'm frankly far from sure it did justice any good.
>>>
>>> But we'll see.
>>
>> It'll take a long time to fix a broken (software) indutry and legal system
>> (or government), but here's something for the brown. :-) :-)
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_darth_vader/311737681/
>>

> Heh.  A pretty color desktop, if a bit odd-looking
> because of the raindrops.

Well, worry not, my friend. It does not /leak/ memory.

> ...But what's that weird-looking
> 4-color affair in the upper right hand corner?  Looks an
> awful lot like a certain competitor's logo... :-)

Let them sue. As long as it doesn't say "Pod" and it isn't packaged with the
distro, all is fine.

> (I suspect something to do with VmWare.  There's a smaller
> version of that logo right next to the Gnome foot.)
>
> The buddy list is also interesting, in that the "jewels"
> are rather evocative of Mac OSX's GUI.  Mix and match. :-)

Speaking of Ubuntu Linux, I quite like it when people call it just "Ubuntu"
or even "Ubuntu OS". This means that they are oblivious to all that
'religion' and they choose that based on pragmatic grounds. The scale of
distribution does not meet many people's eye because it's put on a separate
partition, having been given away (the CD's come in tens) and installed on a
Windows-labeled machine. Wait and see how it all changes demographically.
People whom I know in industry state that Linux adoption is inevitable and
just a matter of time. Look at Microsoft's deparate acts. Should give a
clue... they already know this.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Swap:  1036184k total,   439624k used,   596560k free,    73504k cached