Re: [News] Internet Explorer So Broken That Users Require Multiple Versions (in Tandem)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Internet Explorer So Broken That Users Require Multiple Versions (in Tandem)
  • From: Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:45:32 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:08:08 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> IE6 and IE7 Running on a Single Machine
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has recently made Virtual PC 2004 a free download; we've taken
> | advantage of that by releasing a VPC virtual machine image containing a
> | pre-activated Windows XP SP2, IE6 and the IE7 Readiness Toolkit to help
> | facilitate your testing and development.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-and-ie7-running-on-a-single-machine.aspx

Oh, all sounds very nice, let's try it out.  I'll download the app and the
image here, take 'em home and install 'em on my Windows box.

Except I can't.  You're not allowed to download the image unless you
authenticate your copy of Windows, which is going to be difficult because
I'm not *running* Windows.

Correct way to do this: let the user download it, do the validation at
install or run time.

Incorrect way to do this: require the user to validate at download time,
so he can save a copy, share it to 500 other people and not a one of them
has to validate to get it.

They can't even get something as simple as offering files for download
right.  These are the boneheads we're supposed to believe produced the
greatest, safest OS that has ever existed?

Yeesh.