Re: Mandriva and Mandrake (Was: Just got Mandriva)

__/ [Aragorn] on Monday 02 January 2006 17:07 \__

> On Monday 02 January 2006 01:50, Bob stood up and spoke the following
> words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.advocacy...:/
>
> <snip>
>
>> Isn't Mandriva some composite of Mandrake, Linspire and...??
>
> MandrakeSoft was facing charges from King Features because of the
> references in their name and logo to "Mandrake The Magician", a comic
> book hero.  At the same time, the company merged with Conectiva, and
> thus it was decided to change the name from Mandrake to Mandriva, a
> reference to the two distros it comprised of.

Interesting. I always wondered what story was behind this transition. I was
guessing that the approach to version 10 marked some form of a milestone.

> In the meantime, Mandriva has also acquired Lycoris.  Linspire was
> originally called Lindows but was forced to a namechange because of a
> lawsuite by Microsoft.  Linspire has nothing to do with Mandriva,
> though.

Ironically, the difference between the two is the "W" and the "L" where "W"
could stand for "Winner". Some would also pronounce WinCE in certain
self-flattering ways.

This entire situation makes one wonder about Linux XP Desktop:

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=522&slide=17