Re: New page vs. new keyword?

news:dqbfpc$1nhb$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [Hymer] on Saturday 14 January 2006 17:48 \__
>

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> __/ [Hymer] on Saturday 14 January 2006 16:00 \__

>>> Probably  create another page and include both words in the title and
>>> re-
>>> peat  them in the body (content). By doing so, you will at least not
>>> lose
>>> what you already have. The strong keyword from the main page will
>>> probably
>>> not propagate to the 'child page' though.
>>>
>>> [excuse a silly hypothetical example]
>>>
>>> A  lot  of emphasis is put on page titles, so if your main page was
>>> about
>>> "dogs",  your secondary page should be titled "domestic dogs".
>>> "Domestic"
>>> on  its  own means something else and will be assumed irrelevant based
>>> on
>>> the  page content. If the page mentions "dog" and "dogs" quite
>>> repeatedly,
>>> it  could otherwise become a mismatch w.r.t. the title. That's my
>>> personal
>>> option,  but it depends on the actual content in question and the
>>> competi-
>>> tiveness over the search phrase/s.
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>

>> Hi Roy,
>>
>> Yes, that is what I was thinking also. Actually, my primary key phrase is
>> "user interface design." But I now want to do "usability." ...
>

> Hmmm... that's not contained in the phrase that you dominate already.
> While
> the ideas are closely-correlated and content might have verbal overlap,
> indexes are not aware of this relationship. Stemming is the only
> exception,
> but not synonyms, I suspect.
>

>> ...So it's not like
>> adding a term to what I already have (dog and domestic dog). Rather, it
>> would be more like dog and cat. I already have several modifying words
>> with
>> "user interface design" such as "user interface design consulting" which
>> is
>> 1 or 2 in Google. But this would be trying get people that search for
>> "usability" alone.
>

> Have you yet taken a look to see the top 10 in that SERP? It is worth
> checking if you can fit in that 'league'. I rarely ever fit anywhere among
> 1-word results pages, unless it involves a typo or arcane terms.
>

>> I think the principal still holds though. A new page would permit little
>> reference to "user interface design" and a lot of "usability" and
>> "usability testing."
>>
>> Do you agree?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob
>

> In my humble opinion, in order to fit anywhere which is worthwhile, you
> would
> have to work gard. For hot terminology (due to 'Web hype') such as
> "usability", you would need something on par with the scale of
> [...]

Thanks Bill and Roy,

Right now, my blog which is part of the main site is about 60 in google for
"usability." But I don't have a separate page for usability. I think I can
prepare a page with lots of usability links (similar to my "user interface
design" page) that will attract some attention. And, I can get a lot of good
internal links from my PR6 pages. Plus I can publicize the new page in the
blog and probably get some relevant outside links.

I think it is worth a try. I don't see that it would hurt anything and over
time I could get in the top 10. Right now I know everyone that is there. A
few I will never beat like professional organizations but I think I have a
chance to get within the top 10 in about six months to a year.

I think I will give it a shot.

Thanks Again,

Bob