Re: [News] Linux Brings Parallel Computing to Mainstream

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Brings Parallel Computing to Mainstream
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:15:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • References: <9328492.2PadqJNexm@schestowitz.com> <pE3zg.27610$TU6.5820@fe43.usenetserver.com> <87ejw3f80q.fsf@mail.com> <B44zg.38156$Ca.1051@fe36.usenetserver.com> <lD5zg.4095$yN1.605@fe12.lga> <pan.2006.07.30.18.02.31.134183@tiscali.co.uk> <Vp7zg.36552$vX4.12038@fe11.usenetserver.com> <pan.2006.07.30.19.20.12.864684@tiscali.co.uk> <87vepeoo2f.fsf@mail.com> <pan.2006.07.30.20.31.18.102111@tiscali.co.uk> <87wt9un7i9.fsf@mail.com>
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:49:02 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Personally, I know of no other disucssion newgroup which is the sewer
>>> pipe for what must be some RSS feed of Linux related articles. Some of
>>> the articles are admittedly interesting, but too many tends to make the
>>> poster get ignored which is a shame. Post choice advocacy articles and
>>> let discussions abound. By posting so much shite it becomes similar to
>>> getting bombarded with glossies in the post box : they all just go
>>> straight in the bin. Just "IMO" of course.
>>
>> At least you have the courtesy to add that 'IMO'. Friend yttrx has only
>> been back for five minutes and it seems like he wants to run the group.
>>
>> If a number of respected posters were to ask Roy to tone down the number
>> of News items, then maybe he would, but I can't see how his being
>> insulted is going to encourage him to do anything but continue.
>
> I would suggest that based on who replies that more people ignore them
> than read them. Of course that is only the impression I get.
>
> Being bloody minded because people post nasty things is not big or
> clever : they should be filtered down and limited to linux advocacy
> ones IMO: There is too much "Mother saw Linux in store" type posts - of
> zero interest.

I'd agree he could be more choosey about what he picks to post. Some of
it's a bit tenuous.

> Its a shame, but I see that there is still a trend from certain people
> to label anyone a troll who says anything negative about Linux or some
> of the established posters here. Worshipping at the feet of longterm
> posters is certainly not in any newsgroups mandate.

Well, I don't worship anyone here, that's for certain :-) I have some
respect for various pro-Linux posters

> This might shock you, but I havent read one single troll today from this
> Flatfish guy - just balanced views. Maybe I'm blind to his subtlety
> *shrug*.

You must filter out all the 'Linux nut', 'COLA gang' stuff as you read.
Perhaps you consider he isn't aiming at you, which is fine. But for
everything he says that is reasonable - and he can be perfectly reasonable
- he comes out with all the shit about Linux cockroaches and other
insults. We (regular advocates) are supposedly a swarm of mindless thugs
who gather round attacking anyone who speaks negatively about Linux. We're
supposedly all communicating secretly by email to coordinate our campaingn
- and yes, he's accused many of us of doing exactly that. And more. I
don't take kindly to that kind of nonsense.

> I switched from Windows last year : but am not blind to the benefits for
> beginners and computer illiterates.

Advocates of anything, be it OSen or football teams, will always be
somewhat partisan. It's human nature. I don't deeply dislike Windows, but
I don't think it's really that good. I did once, but now I've used Linux I
know there are better things out there.

--
Kier