Re: [News] eWEEK: Motorola Goes Linux (with Java)

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 19:53 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Motorola's new flagship platform, SCPL ("scalpel") will redefine even
>>| basic phone performance, Motorola mobile devices head Ron Garriques said
>>| as he unveiled the first SCPL phone at a financial analysts' meeting
>>| late on Tuesday.
>>|
>>| He also said Motorola will be abandoning the familiar operating system
>>| used on its feature phones, such as the RAZR, for a Linux- and
>>| Java-based solution.
>> `----

> They've been going this way for some time, so I guess this is a bit of a
> huge win for the linux world.  The next question would be, how open is
> the device?  Can you get a copy of the kernel source?

Only if you are a particular /type/ of person (like that which embarks on
Nokia 770 or Zaurus adventures). Most people are happy enough the the click
and the drool. Linux (with or without Java) can achieve this. See, for
example, all of these Linux in the car appliances.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
roy      pts/8                         Thu Jul 27 13:42 - 13:42  (00:00)