Re: animated favicons are evil (was Re: How to delete programs)

__/ [ Craig Sanders ] on Monday 13 March 2006 03:08 \__

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:00:05 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [1] http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/uninstall-openoffice.jpg
>
> are you aware that animated gifs and especially animated favicons are
> irritating?
>
> they just distract from whatever content you might have on the page -
> how can you read it with some bloody icon spinning around, visible out of
> the corner of your eye? and you can't even scroll the page to get it out
> of sight because it's in the tab title (complicated by a bug in firefox
> so that it ignores the animation=once setting for gifs if they happen
> to be favicons displayed in the tab title rather than images in the web
> page).
>
> it might be "pretty", and it might be "cool"....but it's also very bloody
> annoying and distracting.

I know, but once they become more prevalent, they will cease to be
distracting. It used to distract *even* myself for the first couple of
weeks. Even the bookmarks show them animated.

I am no longer paying much attention to animations, but your point is still
valid. I stand corrected.

> i thought you might like to know that i've had to add a rule to my squid
> redirector (usually used for banner blocking) to block that irritating
> animated favicon when viewing your pages. i'm far from the only person
> who gets annoyed by such things.

I know. I have been told this before. I wonder if Firefox added (/intend to
add) a hidden option in about:config for preventing this.

Best wishes,