Re: Just as I had thought - Novell is the bomb planter

  • Subject: Re: Just as I had thought - Novell is the bomb planter
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:26:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 18 November 2006 21:32 \__

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:18:19 -0500
> Geico Caveman <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/11/18/1838229.shtml
>>
>> Time to reject any patches or code coming from Novell or its employees
>> ?
>>
>> This deal sounds more and more like SCO with improvements. SCO failed
>> because they could never point to a piece of code and prove it was
>> stolen.
>>
>> I think that Microsoft is making up for that mistake by using their
>> new great friends at Novell to do the planting for them. Months later,
>> when the offending code has made its way into most distros, Microsoft
>> will swing in with the just cause.
>>
>> I said precisely this a few days ago in my response to John "Novell
>> uber alles" Bailo.
>>
>> Its time to cut Novell off before they succeed in planting any bombs
>> in Linux kernel / app code.
>
> but as i think roy said recently, the moment they do that it's SCO stage
> 1, prove that there is stolen code. how can they do this? and if they
> saiy "Noel Power" submitted code, then it's svn rollback time and remove
> that diff, svn export and repackage (after a clean build of course).
>
> if they cannot suggest what code is stolen then there is no case.
>
> and besides all this. people are going to move away from novel's linux
> in droves, hopefully to something better like debian. where politics is
> more important, the chances of this stuff going unnoticed is less likely
> to make it into the stable branch.
>
> besides all that, i prefer the OO.org macro language.

Having just read a certain article, I think I now see where it all began...

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/08/1726205&from=rss

See the comments. Someone must have read it and sent it to Slashdot, but I
haven't checked this carefully. Like you say, people will be going in droves
where 'politics' comes before money (if money is involved at all). I really
hope that a fork which is backed by many active developers comes out of SUSE
soon. I want to stay with SUSE but say goodbye to Novell. I feel bad for
SUSE developers whom I know... they did nothing wrong, but that management
is completely out of touch.

With the revisions on the site, I suspect it's irreversible and the money
irrevocable. Notice how quickly Microsoft took action (the day after). It
was all carefully planned (orahestrated even). Probably one of those
brainstorm sessions behind closed doors, people exchanging memos like the
Haloween Documents. Can we get a copy of that script that describes
Ballmer's plot?

I can only wish for reversal, I guess...

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/17/180224&from=rss

        Samba asks Novell to scuttle Microsoft deal

Novell will never live again. It's like an old dog that you can no longer
carry in your journey of survival. They chose to ignore Noorda and they will
end in the same way.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
Cpu(s):  19.9% user,   2.7% system,   1.1% nice,  76.2% idle