Re: Linux Will Knock Rivals Out of the Server Room

__/ [ JEDIDIAH ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 15:14 \__

> On 2006-10-05, ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That still doesn't get around the boundary condition of
>>> everything peaking at once or things peaking past their projected
>>> maximum. Excess capacity and "margins" exist in engineered systems
>>> to work around the problems of not fully understanding your problem
>>> or perhaps how to solve it.
>>
>> One builds some contingency into the network, just like we did pre-vm,
>> one cannot have too high risk for a single component. VM's allow one to
>> spread backups around.
>>
>> It's just like thinking of a computer inside another computer... we just
>> put more than one Russian doll inside each. Doesn't mean we have less
>> Russian dolls.
>
> Sure it does.
>
> Server consolidation is the perfect excuse for management to skimp
> on capacity. They can dellude themselves into thinking they have enough
> extra because the consolidation process will make them think they have
> more than they reall do by skewing statistics.
>

>>> Computing simply isn't mature enough as a discipline
>>> (engineering or otherwise) to operate on tight tolerances.

>> Computing is a very mature subject.
>
> Get back to us in 6000 years.
>
> Computing isn't even out of the womb yet.

It's all relative. One could argue that the hindrance Moore's Law is facing
is enough indication that we're hitting a brick wall. The greater problem at
the moment is innovating, software-wise. There's lack thereof, surely. There
are many splendid things we could have implemented, but they are not
necessarily what makes the most /money/, so there's suppression and
resistance to advancement. And no, Google is far from breaking that barrier.
There's complacency too. All they do is acquire some companies that never
reinvented a wheel. And face recognition is nothing new, either.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
         run-level 5  Sep 28 23:16                   last=S