Re: [News] Konqueror is an Innovative 'Killer' Application for Linux

__/ [ Gubo Dangle ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 12:14 \__

> It happens that Roy Schestowitz formulated :
>> The Linux killer app: KDE's Konqueror
>>
>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>>> One of the unique features of Konqueror that really is amazing is
>>> it's ability to do split screen browsing. Right click on the status bar
>>> on the bottom of the screen and you get a menu allowing you to split the
>>> screen either horizontally or vertically.
>>>
>>> This isn't just a "gee whiz" feature. It's actually very useful. Take
>>> shopping on line, for instance. My wife is very jealous of this
>>> feature. :-)
>>>
>>> Take a look at the following screen shot, which shows me looking at
>>> two different tents and comparing their specs side by side.
>
> So, it'll do the same (nearly) as having two open webpages in any
> webbrowser with the windows tiled vertically.
>
> - and that's a Killer App?

No, because two separate windows are fragmented and they hog more resources.
Have you used text editors that split vertically and horizontally, e.g.
while editing the exact same file? I'm not sure you fully comprehend the
value of integrated views, which is related to (yet not the same as) the
tab.  Personally, I would prefer to use a browser with a more 'liquid'
layout, as opposed to rigid. Dealing with pages simultaneously should be
similar to management of a desktop (not a primitive Windows desktop, but
something more like an augmented, feature-rich KDE desktop). There's still a
struggle between a more familar and trditional paradism and one which
requires some training, but entails improvements. BumpTop is not a good
example (I think it's a poor implementation), but it's noteworthy, I think.

http://honeybrown.ca/Pubs/BumpTop.html

I think it's a shame that few people have grasped the advanced control the
KDE makes available for file management and user interaction. It requires
very few clicks, delivers more information than most, and fascilitates tasks
that could otherwise be impossible or very cumbersome.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
Tasks: 125 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie