Re: An easy-to-use / install distro?

> That is some stunning figure, Thad. But you deserve this. Last night I
> received an E-mail from MathWorks (out of the blue, honest) and they want to
> discuss a job opening with a salary of 100-150k per year. This seems just
> absurd to someone my age. Something similar happened last month, as well as
> two months ago with Google (although I don't know about the wage at Google).
> Many, if not all, are at least in part Linux-oriented, so who said there's
> no money in Linux? When Linux can be managed so much more effectively (e.g.
> take responsibility for a hundred servers rather than a dozen Windows
> boxes), I guess it boils down to better returns for the spending. And that,
> Thad, is why companies are willing to pay you henerous sums. They foresee
> long-term savings, so in the interim, it's somewhat of a shopping spree from
> which you gain. This won't prevail when Linux becomes as mainstream as
> Windows. But industry as a whole will be far more efficient at that stage...

Well, 75/hour is on the top end of what I get lately, 65 is more
common.  That is still really good for the Milwaukee area, so I
can't complain, especially considering a lot of the work is
subcontracted to me.  I suppose they see the benefit of paying
a bit more for someone who will likely get the work done much
more quickly.

The market has definitely picked up a bit in this area, and there
is definitely more Linux work than in past years.  As you say, my
enterprise clients seem to be crunching through the cost/benefit
analysis and finding that an open standards / open source based
solution pays of in the long term.  Linux and OSS has now become
a self sustaining meme.  There is no stopping it.  :)

Thad