Re: [News] Ubuntu Feisty Final Review, Search Engines, and PCWorld Tips

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 20 April 2007 01:22 \__

Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

,----[ Quote ]
| For people wanting simplicity from their Linux distribution, Ubuntu
| 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) may well be the best release ever from any
| Linux company.
`----

http://lunapark6.com/ubuntu-704-feisty-fawn.html

The news is overwhelmed by "Ubuntu". It's like the Vista frenzy all over
again, but there's no $500-million budget behind it. New search engine
(customised Google):

http://www.googlubuntu.com/
I'm torrenting my copy right now (gotta see what all the fuss is about).

:)

Don't be misled by all the brown and orange. It's very nice and clean underneath. I used it for about a year in my other office.

Not to simply be another 'me, too', BUT, I have run Kubuntu for about 8 months and enjoyed it until I 'updated' and had some things become 'broken'. Where the new stuff was now stored had changed in some instances, but the major issue was changes in underlying technology of the OS, to conform to new hardware technology, and, in the case of
X11, x.org, the changes due to some kind of potential infiltration
of closed source code.

I agreed with that, but, was a bit confused that the upgrade killed the system display properties... Been doing GNU/Linux and *BSD since 1997, and am a hardware geek.

What really happened with some of my tests of different distros, is that major changes occurred in some applications, and it was not as apparent as it could have been, that the major changes could BREAK the current system.

This happened to me in Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and some other distros.

Now, much wiser, I read about the updates, first.

Things that happen to noobs can blindside them into denial, and I am out to avoid that for my penguinstas. So, I do like all the distros, and oses, in the FOSS world, but, like some more than others... disclosure needs better dissemination.