[News] Vista Benchmarks Said to Be Nothing But Marketing

Vista: Benchmarking or Benchmarketing?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you only looked at the Windows Experience Index, you could end
| up purchasing a product which will not satisfy your requirements!
| Vista rated all of our graphics cards at high scores of 4.5 and up,
| meaning that they supposedly are suitable to run 3D game graphics,
| but as our game and 3DMark results show, this is absolutely wrong.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/04/19/vista_benchmarking_or_benchmarketing_uk/page10.html

Also mind the 'minimum requirements' of Vista (versus reality).

Related (examples of false advertising):

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commi

Rumor: Is Microsoft cheating their [Xbox 360] sales?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://xbox360.qj.net/Rumor-Is-Microsoft-cheating-their-sales-/pg/49/aid/89595

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony, like Microsoft, announces units shipped, not actually sold.
| This allows both companies to advertise sales numbers based on how
| many units they can force retailers to accept, not on how many units
| customers actually buy; both have considerable market power to push
| excess unsold inventory into the channel."
`----

http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.htm

Vista Upgrade, Dimension E521, Sound Blaster Audigy MB Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than reply to many individual comments and personal e-mails
| regarding the Dell Vista Express Upgrade, concerns around the
| Dimension E521, and the Vista version of the Sound Blaster Audigy
| MB software, I wanted to let people know that we will use the blog
| to provide updates on all three.
|
| Regarding the Vista upgrade, Dell can help customers who have
| issues with:
|
|     * The Dell Vista Upgrade site not recognizing their service tag(s)
|     * Cerficate of Authenticity (COA) issues
|     * Credit Card/ Change of Address issues
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/04/02/10222.aspx

Dell's "Express Upgrade" to Vista not so "express"

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell-using Vista hopefuls are expressing their frustration at
| Dell's continued delays and problems with their Vista upgrades.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/12/dells-express-upgrade-to-vista-not-so-express/

Let's not forget the lawsuits over the "Vista-ready" scam (ready to /boot/
Basic).