Re: Thank God some things never change...

  • Subject: Re: Thank God some things never change...
  • From: Zach <zsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:33:13 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll wrote:
Zach wrote:

BearItAll wrote:
Zach wrote:

After a 3 year hiatus from using Linux, I'm back to using it again
(openSuSE).  I read this NG religiously back then, LMAO at the trolls
and MS shills.  It's like I never left, with the exception of the
article postings of Roy Schestowitz.  Ahhh, the more things change, the
more they stay the same.

Zach
You forgot to say if you were grumbling or are pleased with what you
found.

Very pleased.  The posts from Roy are informative and legitimate; not
the radical stuff the shills accuse Linux fans of being.  I will
continue to use WinXP on occasion but 90% of my time will be spent
discovering (in my case rediscovering) and using openSuSE.  I'm just
waiting for the big brown truck to arrive with my copy (due today) so I
can get it installed and start looking over all the changes and
improvements.  Hell, that's more than half the fun of Linux!

Zach

Good. Suse is my favourite distro too, a great all-rounder, makes a good
server and/or a good client.

You will find the menu system is different to what you remember. I like it a
lot, gone are the huge multilevel menu's that fly across the screen making
it hard to find what you are looking for. Now you get a nice neat starting
page, can select from favourites etc or go off to a page with more items,
nicely set out, comfortable to read. That to me is what a modern menu
should look like.

In Yast you will find that the regular things you need to set up are
incredibly easy. You know I think the last one I setup for home use was
done entirely at install time other than the email server that took another
5 minutes in Yast after install. Oh and the (touches side of nose with
finger) video player, remember to have those extra package source addresses
handy.
        http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_

There are loads of these now, adding a lot to your Yast can be a horrible
long job. Notice at the bottom of many though that you can add them by a
script. But still the more you take the longer it takes for your package
manager to start up each time you use it, so initially go for a minimum,

Packman or VLC VideoLan - I say OR so you don't risk a package conflict by
selecting different parts of the packages from a different site. Once you
have your multi media going you can add the other.

ATI or nVidia if one of those is relevant to you. Though I must say that the
nVidia drivers direct from their own site installed very well for me.

I remember a mistake with the packages at install time, there were two that
mentioned the email server and I selected both, the message comes up and
asks you to unselect one of them and gives you two lines that are exactly
the same, if that happens to you unselect either one and all is well.

Thanks for the info...it'll gimme something to start with. When I used SuSE in the past, I used APT and setting up all those repositories was a royal pain but once it was up and running, keeping my OS updated was a snap. Like I said, discovering the new and improved stuff is going to be fun and I look forward to it. The only thing I dread is setting up my email and NG accounts. I'll transfer as much as I can from Windows so hopefully it won't be too tedious. I've also downloaded/burned to CD numerous programs that are up to date (i.e. nVidia driver, Opera, Firefox/T-Bird, Webmin, etc.) in the event these aren't part of the regular YAST downloads. If they are, all the better.

Zach