Re: Ethical problems for Larry Qualig, proven liar.

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:29:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Kier ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 12:04 \__
>
>> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:44:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Larry is a former Microsoft employee. Nobody should take him seriously,
>>> esepcially in a _Linux forum_.
>>
>> What has that got to do with anything? He wasn't even employed
>> there very long, if I recall what he said about it correctly. And he's a
>> Linux user. He might well be an arsehole as well - he's certainly behaved
>> like one lately - but if that disqualified people there's be practically
>> no one here.
>
> I believe he experimented with Linux, but he is not a Linux user. Show me

How would you know?

> where he advocated Linux. Additionally, show me where/when he posted an item
> that did not involve insulting someone. As the days go by (and the company
> that he cherishes sinks deeper in the mud) he becomes more like 'Hadron

Show me where he 'cherishes' MS. Come on, Roy, you've really got to stop
this kind of nonsense. Larry often talked of Linux, and how he'd converted
much of his home network to Unbuntu (if I recall it correctly). He's
defended a few MS people, like Ray (Roy?) Ozzie, because he personally
knew the man, but I don't recall much in defence of MS as a whole. Here
and there, maybe, but he's as entitled to speak up for them as we are to
speak up for IBM or Novell or Red Hat.

> Quark'. Both are using made up name, which pretty much tells you that, just
> like Gary Stewart, they are embarrassed or afraid of putting their identity
> behind what they say. They take no pride in their opinion and it is very
> telling.

Whoa there. How do you know his name isn't Larry Qualig?  Actually I think
it's Larry Q-something. He's of Italian extraction, as I understand.

> Tim O'Reilly called for a blogger code of conduct last week. I participated a
> little. This came after death threats were issued against a blogger. One of
> the parts that I referred to was the issue of anonymity. Slashdot shrewdly

Free speech does have one unfortunate side effect - anyone can use it.
Bad guys as well as good. I don't condone death threats, but it's better
to avoid censorship if at all possible, IMO.

> calls that type of thing "anonymous coward". I don't like it when people
> wish to take no responsibility for what they say and they thrive in
> electronic communication, which facilitates obscurity. This leads to bad
> behaviour. The leads to anger, impolite language, and fear (unknowns are
> never an encouraging thing). You can already see that I take a lot of abuse,

Yes. And much of it I do not condone, since I believe you're sincere in
what you do. But you need to get your act together. Remember what I said
about not handing the 'Opposition' ammunition? Check and check again. Post
sensibly, not off-the-cuff, and *make sure you're accurate*. Make sure you
show what is your opinion and what is fact, and don't confuse the two.

> yet sometime you seem to defend the abuser. As I have nothing but respect
> for you, this sometimes disappoints me. Sometimes you defend me, but
> sometimes you blindly take their word, agreeing with them that I am "a liar"
> and saying that Rex is "a nutter" (he's not!).

Yes, Roy, he is. A well meaning nutter, and almost certainly harmless,
but a nutter all the same. (I don't refer to his private life here, that
is entirely his business). Conspiracy theories are mostly bullshit, always.

And where there's proof that you lied, or at least were seriously mistaken
and won't admit it, I can't just turn a blind eye. If you stand out front
waving a flag, you've got to be whiter than white.

> Let's try to encourage manners. Everybody will like it better. Before I
> came to COLA I never saw any impolite messages. If they ever came up,
> they were ignored or the poster told off. Coming to COLA was sometimes
> shocking, but everyone can grow thick skin after a while. There is
> another way. Let's just not descent to Neanderthal culture. Even Erik,
> who was rather polite last year, has turned into a foul-mouth machine
> that targets people and takes cheap shots.

COLA has always been rather free and easy about polite conversation, it's
true. I try not to be too abusive, unless I'm really provoked, as it can
obscure what one is trying to say.

> It's very clear to see how the culture varies as one moves from COLA, to
> Digg, to Slashdot, to Netscape, to alt.linux, and so forth. The 'peer
> behaviour' plays a role, so let's set a good example and ignore nasty
> posts, rather than feed trolls. When a troll gets a reply and someone
> ping-pong with him, then it's like wrestling with a pig. Both are
> getting dirty, bit only the pig enjoys it.

The real problem is that people are labelled 'troll' just for disagreeing
with the percieved 'party line'. Even so-called 'trolls' can have
something useful to say sometimes. We should be focusing on the issue
raised, not the personality of who raised it.

> Take care.

You too. And please don't think I'm merely jumping all over you for the
sake of it - I'm not.

--
Kier