Re: redacted undocumentated APIs ..

  • Subject: Re: redacted undocumentated APIs ..
  • From: ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:06:00 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:51:53 GMT
Robert Newson <ReapNewsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>But...Linux just "works".
> >>
> >>Second time I installed it worked fine. Lost everything on my HDD
> >>but that's what you get...
> >
> > you know.. the very same thing happened when i installed windows.
>
> The last time I had to [finish] install[ing] Windwos, I didn't get
> the option to partition the 80G HD the way I wanted.  The result?
> One large C: partition covering the whole disk.
>
> However, I wanted to transfer stuff from other computers to that one
> (in various locations on the new machine), so I wanted to share the
> C: drive as it would be the easiest way to achieve that over my lan.
> WRONG.  Warning: Sharing the root drive is dangerous [as malware
> could infect machine/you could have your machine pwned] and not
> recommended, do you REALLY want to do it?
>
> If the OS writers KNOW it's dangerous to share the root (C:) drive,
> WHY does the installer create ONLY a root drive?  (Or was the
> installer written by another department of Microsoft that has no idea
> what the other departments consider good practice?  Left hand not
> knowing what the right is doing?)
>
> And why does Windwos default to installing DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS on
> this root drive if it knows the root drive is such a dangerous place?

you raise some very good points here. it would be much better having
windows and system~1 on different partitions, along with docume~1 and
progra~1 all on their own. it can be done post-install i think, but
it'd sure be risky, and might require mounting the disk in another box,
i don't know i've never tried, but if i could do it, i'd make it a
policy at the company for desktops. ntfs does allow mounting disk
partitions within the root file systems, so it's weird why it's not
done.

--
The frame relay to the Xbox is dead because of a glitch.
Verio is gasing up the marketing hype machine.